Ukraine Invasion 2: no more Black Sea fleet for you

It’s a lot easier to be the aggressor when you’ve largely subsumed the enemy force already.

I don’t quite see how this works. They’re hinterlands. There are fewer people in the first place and they’ll be harder to round up. Like when ship’s captains wanted to Shanghai some sailors, they sent goons to the saloons on the docks, not off to scavenge bodies from farms.

I’m sure Lincoln would have liked to actively direct the fighting when McClellan was in charge, but he settled for hanging out near the telegraph office waiting for news.

Defending the recruitment offices could provide valuable training for new recruits.

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1572996122204950528?t=qsivLM_GPdG34h1K6SsVYw&s=19

That seems an odd thing to call unfortunate.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: About Moderation

I dunno, then I wouldn’t have to go to work tomorrow. Think about the implications!

There’s also a significant dip below the age of 30:

1 Like

Shit, I’m not sure Ukraine can manage to get enough sunflower seeds for old ladies to hand out.

Yeah but some of those males are “excess”.

Yeah, lol, I meant to write “fortunately”

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Taliban! What is your position on whether or not Russia is going to Invade Ukraine? Seems pretty unlikely, right? On an unrelated topic, what is your opinion on whether or not Trump is trying to seize power?

2 Likes

fun fact: taliban is a prohibited organization in russia, yet foreign minister has brought them to the kremlin multiple times, and referred to them as reliable geopolitical partners.

:vince2:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1572891959475290114

real men… just not for very long.

1 Like

Fuck, so many people are going to die. And for what? Its such a completely unnecessary tragedy.

5 Likes

Like what the fuck was ever Putin’s endgame here? Even if the “conventional wisdom” held true and Ukrainian defenses crumbled back in March and he killed Zelensky… there was always going to be a bloody and well funded insurgency supported by the West that would make Afghanistan look like a cakewalk in comparison. There was never any winning here long term. What the fuck was he thinking?

1 Like

“if i start losing, i can always use the nukes”

I think that’s some hindsight bias there. Russia thought there was a lot of pro-russian elements in ukraine, and they weren’t entirely wrong about that. It’s going to end up that way now of course.

The old “we will be welcomed as liberators” justification, classic stuff.

I’m not sure I agree. I remember the conversations around then. The conventional wisdom was that Russia was going to roll over Ukraine in a matter of days, but that would be followed by a long and bloody insurgency potentially with a Ukrainian government in exile.

1 Like