Turbo Walrus: TV theme edition

So I know we are all loving the Grab Bag Walrus, but I doubt there is anyone who would complain of more Walrus in their lives. Especially since we have all submitted.

So let’s do an easy one. 5 questions. Submissions by this weekend, rankings by this time next week.

1. A TV theme from the 70s
  2. A TV theme from the 80s
  3. A TV theme from the 90s
  4. A TV theme from the aughts
  5. A TV theme from the 2010s

Simple rules. Date is based on the debut of the theme itself. If a show debuted in 89 with one theme song but then got a new theme in season 3 in 92 and you want to use that one, it would be your 90s submission.

Let’s cap at 15 entrants. Please send all entries to Microbet for blinding purposes.

Not including the 60’s in GOAT TV themes is a major fail imo.

2 Likes

I will blind.

2 Likes

Thanks micro

1 Like

What’s a Walrus?

1 Like

Its a music competition. Submit entries (generally spotify or youtube links) that fit the category for each question.

Are we allowed to have overlaps with other people? We just put together a playlist and submit it, not like a draft or anything?

Right. And yes overlap is allowed (and likely expected for this theme here) anyone who submits an overlap will receive the same score as the others who submit the same overlap.

Generally in Walrus you are looking for more obscure entries. The same can apply here. Maybe they finding themes that are great but are less well known.

The judging is objective and based on my personal tastes

Also we blind judge so we dont know who submits what. In this case entries should be sent to Microbet and not me

OK… I think I understand enough to proceed.

I think I will   in   this one. It is a subject near and dear to my heart.

in!

One more question - if a show uses different versions of the same song as its theme song over its run, would those be scored as the same song or different songs? (I’m sure there’s one obvious example that comes to mind.)

Yes please.

I will judge based only on the version submitted. Not any prior or subsequent versions

OK, submitted.

I’m going to need a ruling on a library track recorded in one decade and used as a theme in another.

Date of first appearance as a theme.

So a main library song from the 70s not used as s theme until the 80s would fall into the 80s category

question: if the shorter TV version has a longer “full” version, do you want the 30-second snippet they use for TV or the whole song?

Up to you actually. I will judge based on version submitted. If you prefer the long version, submit that. For songs that were once catalogue songs that were used as a theme, its best to just submit the actual theme version instead of the full version.