Turbo Walrus: TV theme edition - Reveal!

@NotBruceZ
@DodgerIrish
@JohnnyTruant
@Zikzak
@TrueNorth32
@superuberbob
@skydiver8
@R.C

Welcome to my TV theme song walrus reveal!

Unfortunately, since nobody decided to submit the objectively greatest TV theme song (see above), I have decided you are all unworthy of a reveal, and have collective won last place. Congrats!

4 Likes

Alright, just kidding. Welcome to my reveal. Simple rules, 5 categories. Submit the best TV theme song from each of the decades starting with the 70’s.

I will not be revealing in chronological order, and will instead be revealing from my least favorite to most favorite decade based on the submissions.

We have 8 telephiles trying their best to impress a TV connoisseur. Lets see how it all shakes out.

3 Likes

Impressively, we only have 3 total duplicates throughout the entirety of the 5 categories. I expected more overlap, so I am pleasantly surprised with only 3 dupes.

We will begin in about 15 minutes.

3 Likes

wow, that’s pretty amazing, actually.

Money is on my 70s and/or 80s sections being that.

Honestly, my head would explode if my other picks were somehow dupes.

As a side note, I totally would have picked SMBSS if I knew it began in the 80s. Thought it was early 90s.

1 Like

I tried to avoid the more obvious choices. I hope none of mine overlap.

I actually had the most trouble with the 00’s

Seriously you guys,

Do the Mario

Ughhhhhhh

I definitely avoided the obvious ones from the 90s on.

But I don’t know much about TV before then.

Alright, let’s fucking do this. Starting with my least favorite decade of submissions.

The 2010s.

This decade is not terribly great when it comes to theme songs. I tend to like themes with lyrics that can tell a story, and those are really sparse in the 2010s.

That being said, what would I have chosen?

or

Yeah both of these are great for entirely different reasons.

Bob’s Burgers would have been a close third.

yeah, 2010s has lot of short instrumentals. And a lot of them sound similar (everyone’s trying to be GoT).

This is actually the one decade where I am not surprised that we didn’t get an overlap. There really has not been any themes that have stood out as iconic in the past decade.

In 8th place, scoring 1 -

Being the ever intrepid walrus host that I am, I did some research, cause I had no clue what show this was for or how the theme tied in.

I guess this is the theme for 2 Broke Girls.

Shockingly, the submitted entry above is the shortest version of the theme I could find aside from this.

I have to believe there is a 30 second version of it somewhere, but I could not find it in my searching.

Anyway, I didn’t really like this. A bit slow and plodding, and no idea how it relates to the show at all.

1 Like

No doubt I’m gonna have some rustled jimmies at some point.

I feel them coming and mine hasn’t been mentioned yet.

In 7th place - Scoring 2

Another theme that is really hard to find the actual show version anywhere, but thats not why this places here… I just, I don’t like it. Its more interesting than the 2 broke girls song, but while I can see that its TRYING to get me hype for the show thats about to start, it really isn’t.

Justified is one of those shows that is topping best of the decade lists, and I know I should watch it, but I had a bad experience with the pilot, and this theme does nothing to make me want to take up watching it.

argh

I love this because it fits the show perfectly

And yes, it’s a fucking amazing show.

we dug coal together

In 6th place - Scoring 3

Now here is a solid theme that says exactly what is going down and gets you excited to see the show. So why the low place?

Sometimes it is REALLY hard to top the original, and trying to do so just lead to it falling flat. I’m sure redoing the theme for the new version of the show was the correct move, but missing out on the original always kinda bums me out when the song starts.

That being said, this is an excellent show to watch with the 6-13 crowd, so if you have younguns in that age range, for sure seek it out.

I feel bad about this placement, but I know its right.

2 Likes

Yeah, the wife and I just finished up catching up to Killing Eve, so maybe Ill suggest this as something new to start tonight.

Boyd Crowder is one of the best anti-heroes ever. Seriously. he is so much more than crazy church guy from episode 1 and Walton Goggins is fan-fucking-tastic

1 Like

The next two songs both started low and grew on me to move them into 5th and 4th respecitvely.

In 5th place- Scoring 4

And in 4th place - Scoring 5

Two really solid themes from shows I haven’t seen. Terriers has that gritty, Socal/beach feel to it that really makes you feel like you are on the wrong side of the tracks in Santa Monica, and Succession makes you feel like there is a family just racked with controversy. It reminds me a lot of music that would make me feel like I’m watching The Jinx.

Great choices.

In 3rd place - Scoring 6

I REALLY wanted to put this higher. Somebody must have remembered my love for solid salsa, and this has it. Is Teresa a telenovella from Univision or Telemundo?

Probably? I remember Joel McHale talking about it on the Soup at some point or another.

Anyway, this works for me.

1 Like

Its on my list. Ill bump it up based on this suggestion.

I’ve felt from previews that I would be comparing it to Billions. Apt? If so, better or worse?