Trump's America

Absolutely.

A truly just punishment would be a massive fine (which would be used to help kids in impoverished families get assistance applying to college), and a short prison sentence (similar to what she got). But I doubt our system allows a fine big enough to see justice served in this case.

I haven’t followed it closely, but paying someone to take the SAT and bribing people at a private school? That shouldn’t carry a jail sentence either. I’m not really sure what the crime should be for bribing your way into a private school. Seems like pretty standard practice via donations anyway and it’s just lol-USC (I think it was USC). SAT is a private thing too, right? Again, not really sure what the crime is other than lol-SAT. I guess there was some kind of false information on a federal form or something, but like a fine for that is more than appropriate.

If the homeless mom was lying to get her kid in a better school, she should be given a medal and her kid a scholarship.

1 Like

Yeah I mean legally I don’t know the crime, and I haven’t followed it closely because I knew they’d all get a slap on the wrist anyway… Morally the crime is that some poor parents’ kid doesn’t get to go to as good of a school, or the school they’re dreaming of going to, just because Felicity Huffman had the money and power to get her kid in. Hence why I think a big fine that tries to rectify the wrongdoing is the just punishment. I also think a couple weeks in jail as a deterrent to others is +EV for society, regardless of whether it’s the just punishment to her - and it’s not like it’s going to severely impact her life long-term.

It was the tax evasion for the “donations” that was a crime.

:shrug: then 3 x the donations or something.

As much as I may be on board for tax the rich or confiscate wealth or property is theft, I’m not on board for big criminal punishments.

1 Like

I agree. As loathsome as the whole thing was the punishment seems right to me.

The two worst parts were,

1. They already knew they were doing something wrong then to get tax credit just seems so bad.

2. perhaps worst of all, they had to get their kids to pretend to having a learning disability to get extra time so the sub could write the test for them. It hurts all those with real learning disabilities.

No. It was mail fraud. Even without claiming the deduction, she would have been guilty of the crime she was charged with. They could have threatened tax evasion charges also, but those don’t seem to have been brought.

I know but I think due to the tax evasion. I could be mistaken but that is my understanding.

Edited my post. But basically even without claiming the deduction, she would have been guilty of the crime she was charged with. They could have threatened tax evasion charges also, but those don’t seem to have been brought.

My bad. So what action was the mail fraud?

Not a fascinating read, but this explains the charge in general:

The parents who didn’t take a plea deal seem to have been hit with additional money laundering charges.

It’s like putting Elaine in prison for moving to a closet to get Chinese food!

Agree

Um… Do you think bribery to falsify SAT scores and deceive colleges and future employers should be legalized?

And the takeaway I get is that once again we see how the judicial system is rigged to oppress black and brown poor people

Sorry, I already responded to your first post before reading those below it. Not much to add except it isn’t just bribing your way into a private school. It is deceiving colleges and future employers that could mean tens, hundreds, or millions of dollars over the the kid’s career. I’d consider this ill gotten

Exactly. The takeaway is that what Felicity did is much worse and received a slap on the wrist compared to the homeless mom

That was a districting issue

Obviously the right can’t be trusted with prisons. I don’t think the left can either. Maybe it’s time for…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/judge-forced-off-bench-after-online-posting-of-noose-make-america-great-again-message/2019/09/17/29baa094-d954-11e9-ac63-3016711543fe_story.html

Am I reading correctly that this judge is 29 years old?

He’s probably been added to the shortlist for RBG’s seat as we speak.

The New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct said that Canning, 29, failed “to maintain high standards of conduct so that the integrity and independence of the judiciary would be preserved,” that he failed to avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety, and that he “failed to respect and comply with the law and failed to act in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.”

um, WTF is this? Is this satire? I have so many questions…

1 Like