Trump's America

Oh, I agree, and tbh, I feel like it’s an even better reason to rotate the primary calendar! The more people think they actually have a say in the matter, the more they get involved, no matter the demographic makeup of your state.

1 Like

hilariously confused and misguided but earnest voter: 10%

trump supporter with a sense of humor: 30%

apolitical nihilist with a sense of humor: 60%

Reminds me of those old battery ads with Robert Conrad

https://twitter.com/jwheels208/status/1217689032458670080?s=21

I dont think this is true. They arent particularly representative of how the rust belt states will vote, and thats almost the only three state block that matters in 2020.

Fairly recently ended up spending an evening in Armenia, Colombia with two guys from Northern Ireland who have off and on spent 10 years traveling by motorcycle around the entire world and were about to finish. Naturally asked them about their favorite and least favorite places they have been. Without hesitstion they mentioned the central US as the worst place they have ever been because of the people. Without being prompted they went on a rant about yes even the “Stans” and middle east were light years better than the central US. As an avid traveler i couldn’t exactly say they were wrong as I’ve been all over the world and almost to a trip the worst behaved people were Americans.

1 Like

My interpretation: Imagine going into a desolate old Soviet town deep in Uzbekistan and the locals sneered at you thinking you were very lucky to see the splendor of the number one country in the world and they wish you’d get the hell out. Now imagine that in Walmart parking lot outside Gary, Indiana.

6 Likes

Karen because she is as knowledgeable about politics as Melissa and is still a total bitch.

Melissa seems well-meaning but very ignorant.

@bestof

2 Likes

Come to australia.

Going through tasmania. Which has a history of genocide that stands out even by Australian standards.

Every sign at every tourist site.

• For thousands of years there were aboriginal people here
  • heres an interesting fact about white people from 1850.

Imagine what a history museum in Poland would look like today if the Nazis had won.

Trump’s America is a bit everywhere, there was a march of them here in Paris today. With any luck this week the Senate will pass a law allowing any woman to have IVF (welcome to 21st century France!), but they won’t if the muppets wandering about earlier today have a say. It’s basically the hard catholic right here, who are a small but not that small minority, and who are increasingly taking over the mainstream centre-right party. The idiot below is carrying a sign saying “Where’s your Father?”.

I’m going to start carrying one that says “il est ton morse”

You made me feel bad as I had to look up ‘morse’ on google translate. Always good to build vocab, though.

Got a growing far-right party here in the CR.

The top far-right group here used to be called Freedom and Direct Democracy which was more focused on being anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-refugee and pro-Czech nationalism. Its economic policies had a pretty wide populist message (increase pension, enhance healthcare funding etc).

However, they’re losing ground to another rising right-wing group. This group is run by the son of CR’s second president, Vaclav Klaus Jr., and a good lot of it copies America’s Republican Party platform though with a harder social conservative platform. It’s called Tricolour, meaning three pillars. Here they are:

1. “We are really much more interested in Jaroslav Novák from Pelhřimov than in a sea lion in Antarctica. Let’s solve Czech problems, not someone else’s problems” (America First rhetoric and not too different from Freedom and Direct Democracy)

2. “The wealth of this country was created by the free and spontaneous activities of free people and businesses.” (far more in line with America’s Republican Party)

Here’s the one that really separates them from the other dozen or so political parties:

1. “Defend the normal world. We want to defend conservative values ​​and common sense. For example, we do not think that mammals have 27 sexes according to how they feel, and that we have such delusions to teach children in schools.”

That pro-business focus is something that will appeal to older people and others in some rural areas who suffered the most under communism. But I suspect that it’s more likely to split the conservative vote that currently exists rather than draw in new conservatives.

Interesting, but also worrying. Your description of the old right party fits Le Pen and Rassamblement National (ex Front National) - the part about the populist economics particularly - and who, it seems to me at least, although polling around 30% here for years now will not actually get the presidency unless they make another significant breakthrough with a different section of voters.

People who only really care about supposed pro-business economic policy are Macron’s core vote pretty much, but they’re also exactly the sort who will always break right rather than left in any binary choice, and so a very good constituency for someone like Le Pen to target. I hope they do not take any tips.

They voted Trump heavily.

You’re wrong of course.

I mean every party is tiny compared to ANO, which is a catch-all party similar to the Five Star Movement in Italy. Thing is that there are so many parties that it’s nearly impossible to get an absolute majority. ANO I think is polling around 30% which is nearly triple the 2nd largest party. Racism and xenophobia are less of a thing with them but Czech people as a group are pretty racist and xenophobic (far less so in Prague) Aside from the one leftist party, it’s a part of all parties. They have the same populist economic beliefs of the far-right party except they don’t emphasize that the benefits are for Czechs only like the far-right does.

2021 Elections are going to be very interesting. There are 4 or 5 parties around the 5% fringe, including the old communist party which has existed since long before the split of Czechoslovakia.

So tonight I hop on twitter and see that La Mesa is trending. this being semi-close to where Ilive, I click to find out why.

https://twitter.com/KUSINews/status/1219419127288188928?s=20

I will also include the original “lewd acts” video…may not be safe for work…

also, these are the people running in the primary for our county supervisor seat (which covers the area that includes LaMesa). There’s one dem, 3 repubs. I’l let you guess which is which. They are having a town hall next week. I might have to go.

(may I remind you, I live in California, not Texas or Oklahoma)

Unclear which is the best thread for this, but this’ll do.

John Judis wrote a very good piece on the prospects for the left. He argues that demographic and economic shifts are long term very favorable, though he has worries. In particular, he finds many young activists are repeating Vietnam generation mistakes of purity tests and division, especially in stigmatizing non-college whites.

1 Like

Seriously I cannot express how stupid it is to take one of the demographic groups that needs the most help and as a result stand to gain the absolute most from a leftist turn politically and tell them that they are bad. Poor whites have problematic views because they are treated like livestock and fed propaganda by their local governments in school and by their religious leaders in Church on the weekends. They are not bad people, and are pretty easy to flip when you actually try. You do have to try though.

Calling them ‘deplorables’ is a huge self own and I seriously want to physically assault every upper class white college educated liberal who uses the term to describe poor whites. The poor white trash know you call them trash. It isn’t that subtle and they aren’t as stupid as you think. They know you look down on them, and that’s a pretty good indicator that you don’t have their best interests at heart from their perspective. The fact that you’re looking down on them because they won’t allow you to help them doesn’t make it any better.

1 Like