Traveling in the Time of COVID

Thanks man! I’m looking forward to it even more.

1 Like

That’s a big extra expense to be able to shag on your trip. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ideas for a ~3 nights trip with the wife and a 4 year old? Needs to be within ~90 minute flight from Sacramento (or the equivalent drive time).

We’re both vaxxed.

My only two ideas so far are San Diego and Portland.

Thanks

Why not drive somewhere along central coastal area?

1 Like

No reason against it, like Santa Barbara area? We’ve been to Monterey before the pandemic.

What do you want to do?

I would go to Yosemite, and did several times when my kids were little. Lake Tahoe if you want a town/hotels.

3 Likes

Don’t have anything specific in mind. Just to get out of the house basically. This is our last year in the states probably so need to take adventage of it while it lasts.

My comfort zone is hotels and urban areas but i think Yosemite makes more sense.

1 Like

There’s just so many cool places to go in the area that don’t require flying with a 4 year old, which sounds like hell. Yosemite, places like Carmel, etc are all cool places to spend a few days in.

If you’ve never been, it’d be a shame to not see Yosemite when you are here. Pictures don’t do it justice. Breathtaking imo. One of those places like the Grand Canyon where you’re just like LDO, this is so obviously meant to be a National Park.

1 Like

I’ve been with my wife before. I haven’t been to the Grand Canyon actually

1 Like

Spectacular. Would be a 90 minute flight about, but you gotta fly and then drive a bit. Redwood Forest in NorCal is also incredibly beautiful, but more like a 5 hour drive.

1 Like

Flying with a four year old in normal times is fine. Flying with a four year old while worrying about making sure that he/she keeps his mask on, doesn’t touch anything, and doesn’t touch his/her face sounds like hell, agreed. And that 4 year old is going to have to use the covid trap, i mean bathroom, at least twice on that flight, guaranteed.

The HEPA filters on flights apparently make them pretty darn safe. Still wore my mask on an 8 hour flight out of America.

The other ideas are great but I will add that, pre-pandemic, one of my favorite trips with my wife was to Santa Barbara. There’s a lot to do that’s concentrated in a very manageable space so it’s not really hard to get from one part to another. It’s basically a main drag, a boardwalk, and then some coastline/beach area and you can walk to most of it if you have good lodgings. You can also drive other places nearby; we stopped at Solvang, a tourist town built to look like a Danish city, and had an incredible meal nearby at Industrial Eats. We also stopped for a very pretty and child-appropriate hike on the way there from SB.

2 Likes

Thinking about taking two weeks this summer and travelling a bit. I have two EU countries I haven’t visited yet which are possibilities (Romania and Bulgaria). However, a Georgia + Armenia combo seems cool too.

My first major summer trip in Europe back in 2014 was to visit the former Yugoslavic states and a combination of bed bugs + lack of money led to me missing out on Serbia, Kosovo, and North Macedonia.

So yeah no idea which to do.

1 Like

Isn’t georgia in a kind of war?

No.

I think there was some kurfluffle years ago over disputed territory between them and the Russians but I have no interest in going there.

1 Like

Started planning my trip to Bulgaria.

Unfortunately, Armenia and Georgia aren’t currently accepting vaccine certificates for entrance into the country. Would have to get a PCR test before entering each country. At least one flight to/from Prague would involve a transfer as well.

By July 1st, all countries will be participating in a Digital Covid Certificate system. Basically, you can show a paper or mobile QR code that proves that you either recently got a negative COVID test, have had COVID in the previous 180 days, or are vaccinated to travel over borders of EU countries. The idea is to standardize the information across borders to avoid fraud. So it’s easier to travel within the EU than out.

Direct flight out on July 11th. Probably gonna stay for two weeks. My AirBnB account is so out of date that I can’t log on anymore (contact information for 2FA is years out of date). So I have to wait until they contact me and open it for me.

1 Like

And one day after I reserve my flight out of Bulgaria, they cancel the flight.

Feels like they’re gonna reject my request for a refund and force me to take a voucher. This will sucks because Eurowings only flies to two places from Prague: Dusseldorf and Cologne. I’ve been to Cologne and who the hell wants to go to Dusseldorf?