Traveling in the Time of COVID

Vaccines are rolling out in first world countries. Less fortunate nations will probably be struggling for awhile trying to get enough vaccines; many of which rely on tourism as a main source of GDP. I’m curious on UPs thoughts on the balancing act of traveling abroad during COVID with the assumption that you are fully vaccinated.

We do not have evidence yet that you are unable to transmit even if vaccinated so masking and social distancing seems like a no brainer no matter what.

The US has implemented the requirement to get a negative test prior to returning back to the country. Would this deter any of you from traveling internationally in case you tested positive and were stuck for weeks? Is domestic travel ethically more responsible for the foreseeable future?

This seemed like it should be a separate topic from the valuable COVID thread.

I’m don’t think the rule will last long but I’m not leaving the country as long as you need a negative test to get back in.

Won’t be traveling for a while. Not sure if I’ll even be able to do my regular summer job due to travel restrictions.

If it is safe to myself and others, post vaccine I am going to vegas and partying.

I dont want to travel this year. I hope that by the summer a combo of vaccinations and the warm weather will make it safe to have limited socializing. I would rather have friends and family over to enjoy a backyard cookout than hop on a plane.

I decided late last year that travel wasn’t going to be in our plans for 2021. Even into 2022 I’m thinking we’re going to be travelling exclusively within Canada, assuming interprovincial travel restrictions are lifted. I want to see what the new normal is going to look like before committing to any big trips outside Canada.

It sucks for winter because we always have a warm weather vacation in January or February, but we’ll certainly survive.

I read the subject line and thought this was as time travel thread. As it apparently is not, I will not provide my knowledge of time travel that led me to build a working time machine and go back to this moment in time and post in this thread.

8 Likes

Japan is a bucket list trip for me.

3 Likes

Have you ever considered teaching in Japan?

I was there for a year long teaching gig, that ended up getting short circuited and turned into more of a 6 week work/travel combo. Even tho it didn’t go as planned, it was still amazing, and I’ve been scheming to get back there ever since.

2 Likes

I considered it in 2009 but chose South Korea instead

1 Like

My wife’s family is making plans for us to go to Orlando/Disney in November. I’ve been on the record saying I don’t think it’s happening even if we’re all vaccinated (my wife, my father in law, and myself already have been) but I’m at least getting a little more hopeful we’ll be able to do some sort of travel, even if it’s just road trips to see my family in California and maybe a friend in New Mexico. Airports/airplanes still sketching me out and seems like it’s only going to go badly if everyone decides it’s safe to go out again.

I really wanna go home :(

7 Likes

Planning on going to Maui for a belated 10th anniversary trip sometime this summer. I’m already vaccinated. My wife will probably be vaccinated by then. If not, I’m not really too worried about it as she’s about as low risk as possible.

2 Likes

The only traveling I’ve done was “forced” when my aunt was in the hospital/passed away. This was in the summer, when people were still sort of taking this seriously, so the flights and airports were empty and I felt relatively safe.

Now? We’ve been using the RV to go to Mammoth and other places to ski, but that’s about it.

1 Like

Did you get any of the fresh snow last week? Heard it was almost too much

I doubt I’ll do any traveling this year, but I would really, really like to run in a race in 2021 - either half or full marathon.

2 Likes

Great and would the residents of Maui be >80% vaccinated by then? Just in case you know?

I think it’s fair to say that internationally, it won’t matter whether you personally are vaccinated, more how many of the citizens are to the country you are visiting.

Domestically ala Maui… new variants - countries before you in this pandemic are now restricting travel across borderfree zones (see EU and france etc).

My guess is, within 3 weeks, all talk state side willl be omg new variants and travel will be more restrictive, rather than less, over next 6+ months.

I live for travel too - roll on 2022

Thanks for your input churchill

1 Like

Pleasure as always.

Just rain at home. My husband headed up to Mammoth, and you’re right, it was too much snow too fast. The avalanche danger was so high they only had 3 lifts open for most of the week, and he couldn’t do backcountry, either. Then Saturday the sun came out, they reopened 395, and it was too crowded.

I am glad I didn’t go, actually, because I kind of suspected it would be like that and I would have just been frustrated the whole time. I don’t have the equipment to deal with 8’ of powder. I mean, I have powder skis, but they are only 112mm wide, which my hubby found out was not wide enough for snow that light and deep. He has 130mm’s though, and STILL had a couple issues!

Mill creek at 10 am Saturday

1 Like