Traveling in the Time of COVID

Damn.

Used to ski a lot growing up, but this is the first time I live in driving distance of any ‘real’ mountains. Been meaning to get up there, but I think I’m going to take up golfing first. Live real close to a good public course that charges 29 per 18. Figure that’s more than reasonable to try to get decent at golf with that and the fact that I can do it year round.

I’ve had some very bad times in CA going to the mountains right after a good snowstorm. Traffic and crowds just aren’t worth it. I’ll live with a little worse snow. Same thing with the beach on a hot summer weekend.

1 Like

Yeah, most of the folks we know who live in Mammoth or go a lot have given up on weekends. Same with Big Bear or Mountain High.

This was a bit different. 395 was closed Wed-Fri, so no one could get there. But the nature and amount of snow made it extremely dangerous to ski on anything but the lowest, flattest terrain. Mammoth had an inbounds avalanche 2 years ago, and they have been very very cautious since then. Flatter terrain is not great with 8’ of powder. Hubby got stuck a few times and you basically have to swim out in that case.

Short distance car trips only this year given I dont think general public is vaccinated by the summer vacation season. Maybe something domestic next year depending on state restrictions and whether we’d have to keep kids out of school for two weeks. Definitely nothing international on tap until 2023 or beyond. Agree that for international trips the trend will be tougher restrictions this year, doubt domestic trips in USA will require the same sort of restrictions. Leisure travel seems the easiest thing to give up as part of pandemic precautions.

Also a broader issue where if we are going to be serious about climate change we need to re evaluate the whole freely available tourism thing anyways, so maybe not a bad time to start doing so.

2 Likes

I would have no concerns about traveling internationally once fully vaccinated, but I generally don’t travel for non-family leisure purposes. As it is, my hope is to get vaccinated in time to attend what I expect might be a delayed live WSOP in Vegas, which some might view as riskier than international tourism.

My wife and I were thinking on doing the same. It almost has the feeling of leaving the US without really doing that.

We’d love to go to Europe, but I don’t think that’s happening this year.

East coast flights to Hawaii seem brutal. Also, godspeed on learning to golf @CaffeineNeeded. That was my resolution last year and it’s tough, but rewarding.

1 Like

I’ve golfed before and got my typical round to a 90 5 years ago, so I’m not coming from absolutely nothing. Just have more time/money to get into it again. Trying to find some covid safe ways of getting out some more.

I golfed more last spring and summer than I had the previous 4 or 5 years. It was a great covid activity. I was also kind of like you in that I was a 10-12 HC at one point then I started having issues so i pretty much quit completely and got back into it last year.

I’m getting my second dose a week from Friday. I’ll be “immune” in theory two weeks after that. I do not intend to travel this year.

2 Likes

Disney sounds abysmal right now. No fireworks, no parades, no character meet and greets, tons of stuff closed, no fastpasses, wearing a mask outdoors in the heat for hours, socially distant lines mean all lines spill out everywhere all over the park. Still going to be around massive crowds at least some of whom, statistically speaking, will be Covid+. No thank you.

3 Likes

Yeah sounds awful and I’m really hoping we don’t go unless there is some incredible, unexpected turnaround. Like I guess we could go and just see family that lives there and avoid Disney but seems like a waste of a trip to that part of the country.

My last experience in Disney was abysmal, and that was before the pandemic.

Speaking of golf, one of the guys in our golf group sent out a group text asking if anyone wanted to take a trip to Alabama to play. I’ve never had any real desire to go there but a couple days away for just golf sounds spectacular right now. So I said yeah sure, just let me know where exactly and when. His response was that he wanted to go around President’s Day Weekend. Facepalm.

But hopefully later in the summer or fall we can figure out a trip doing something similar.

Same. Well, not quite abysmal, but extremely disappointing. Seems like there are ridiculous crowds no matter when you go anymore (pre-COVID, anyway).

we did a road trip from Florida to Houston playing disc golf along the way. minimal interaction was great.

1 Like

I just booked a trip to Arizona for Mrs. Tilted and I for her spring break. We’re going to spend a couple days just hanging out a the pool of the cool hotel. We’ll probably rent a car and go hike a trail at Sedona as well.

Seems like a somewhat responsible getaway after getting vaccinated but I understand it’s not perfect. Nonstop flight, low occupancy boutique hotel, good weather for outdoor only eating, nature shit.

There are some good day drive/hike excursions from the Phoenix area(I’m assuming you’re staying there or maybe in Scottsdale or something like that).

My GF and I were just in Sedona a couple of months ago. Absolutely beautiful, and a good variety of hikes depending upon how much elevation you want.

Another good little drive is over to Prescott(pronounced as Press-kit, by the locals), you may be able to just hit that on the way back from Sedona.

2 Likes

Yup, staying in Phoenix at a place called Arrive. We will definitely drive to to Sedona and do at least 1 hike - from my quick Google searches it looks like West Fork and Devils Bridge would be moderate but fun ones. What’s the story behind Prescott? It will be my first time in AZ.

We did both of those Sedona Hikes. The Devils Bridge is really cool looking, but going out on it was too much for my anxiety/fear of heights(more fear of edges to be precise). I brought my glasses that correct my colorblindness, and the red rocks in Sedona are just off the charts beauty. And the red rocks are just in that little area, once you drive maybe 15 miles away, it’s back to the normal Arizona scrub desert with mountains in the background.

Prescott is a cool little town. Founded by some former general with that name. My ex’s BFF lived there, so we visited frequently. To me at least it gave me the vibe of a mix between a town like Deadwood, South Dakota and small town in the midwest, except that it’s in the high pine forests. I’m not sure how much will be open there, but there’s little shops and things, sometimes an outdoor farmers market type of set up. Then if you drive over to Jerome, AZ that’s where Maynard(the lead singer for Tool) has his own winery. It’s windy roads and tumbleweeds, and broad vistas.

2 Likes