Travel Photo of the Day

Go to the east end of the beach near the marina and they’ve got no clothes on at all :flushed:

I live right on the front in that part of town and have a beach view - but it doen’t quite stretch to include their white wobbly bits :)

Nice! Can you actually tell which seagull is your neighbor? Which one is it?!

I’m in the middle of nowhere Oregon right now. Black Butte on the Deschutes.

6 Likes

4 Likes

bend is fine

3 Likes

A picturesque setting for a small town

6 Likes

I’ve been debating what to do about my camera situation when I go back on the road. I currently have a d810 and 28-300mm “walking around” lens.

I dragged my whole setup on the trip from LA to Panama - tripod, wide-angle, big 200-400mm lens, and barely used my camera. The F-Stop bag took up at least half the space in my locking trunk and wasn’t worth it imo.

So I sold the wide angle and big 200-400mm and the big tripod. My plan is to go back out with just one camera with a similar all purpose lens, and my backpacking tripod.

I have three options:

1. Keep the d810 and 28-300mm

2. Trade in the d810 for a Z6 or Z7 with a a similar lens - 24-200mm. I like the reduced weight and size. I think it will make me more likely to drag my camera along. I really don’t like lugging the heavy camera everywhere. I want to just blend in and walk around as much as possible.

3. Buy this thing with a crazy built in 600mm zoom lens, which my cousin has and just loves:
    Sony RX10 Mk IV Review
    I thought this camera was a joke at first. But Ken Rockwell thinks it’s great. Obviously it’s not going to be professional quality. But I’ve kind of given up on going for that level. I just want my cameras to be good enough for the blog and a book (which will probably be B&W). My cousin got it for the Galapagos, which is exactly what I’d like to have it for. Lugging around that giant lens and changing lenses is no fun. Again, obviously I’m not going for pro quality wildlife shots.

I mean if it’s the size and weight that’s making you lazy about carrying around a camera, #2 seems like the best option. Everybody loves the mirrorless these days. Getting 600mm range sounds kinda excessive! I rarely feel like ever need more than 300, and that’s only like for safaris or something, which is a tiny percentage of my shots. But I guess it might be kinda fun to have that kinda range…

What setup do you normally use? Do you change lenses much?

Yeah 600mm is 100% for wildlife.

I still have my Canon 5d mk 2 w/ a 17-40mm f/4 L and a 70-200mm f/4 L and swap them in and out as needed. Although I’m tempted to switch over to FF mirrorless…

You gonna shoot that much wildlife? I’ve found that most wildlife encounters you’re reasonably close to the animals anyway. Or you can crop to a pretty acceptable level of sharpness with 200mm

Well if I do get a good shot of some animal it will make it into the blog and subsequent book. So it might be worth it for me to have the 600mm.

On the trip I saw a quetzal that I would have needed a lens like that to get a good shot of.

A small town gem in Colombia

7 Likes

Cappadochia

4 Likes

Last night

3 Likes

What exotic land plays Jenga with the blocks turned on end, 5-across?

1 Like

Riverside?

Seems like it’s time for a new theme. How about bright colors, anything with some loud colors…

Market in Guatemala

6 Likes
1 Like

Maputo

4 Likes