Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

I’m not going to that one. Going to Sabiha-Gokcen.

But yeah, most of the worst airports I’ve been to have been in America. Never travelled below the equator though.

Looks like EasyJet (via Gatwick) and Swiss both fly the route, so may be worth jumping on a backup quickly. Somethings called Jet2 and TUI also might fly it.

Good time to mention 2 of my favorite travel resources (although might already be known to people in a “travel addicts” thread):

1. SkyScanner for picking up a lot (but maybe not all) of those low-cost carriers in addition to the main airlines.

2. Wikipedia. For searching an airport and then checking out the list of airports that can be flown to from that one (under Airlines and Destinations).

Because our trip is multiple destinations on multiple airlines I booked through Orbitz, who is now telling me that my entire itinerary needs to be canceled and re-booked, despite the fact that only one leg of our trip has been canceled and there are a bunch of other flights that day. So this is going great so far.

1 Like

I stopped getting itineraries through online travel agencies years ago. The occasional bit of money saved was offset by getting more bullshit involved. They’re just a complete pain in the ass to deal with when things go south. Now, I buy straight from the airline. No need to get an intermediary involved.

1 Like

Do the OTAs even save you money anymore in any aspect of travel? Maybe with a coupon code you can save on hotels occasionally but I basically just use them as a search engine and then always book direct - air, hotels, and car rentals.

I really don’t know. Last time I used one was I think 2018. It was through kiwi.com which saves money through virtual interlining. And sure I did save a decent amount but the risk you assume is much higher as a result. Any hitch in the itinerary can really bite you in the ass which is exactly what happened to me. Kiwi basically told me to go fuck myself when my flight to America got postponed due to engine trouble.

Never again.

Yeah, that’s what I do. I use the agencies just as a search engine and go to airline for the purchase.

Was just on (on and on hold) with Orbitz for 80 minutes. They held the line on “sorry, need to refund your whole trip and you can rebook” which is obviously unacceptable 10 days before we travel, new flights are thousands and thousands of dollars more. Firmly asked to speak to a supervisor, CSR tried to talk me out of it, then came back and said she’d try to call the airline to find a new solution. After holding forever she said she couldn’t get through and would escalate this to some sort of offline resolution team who would contact me in 24-48 hours. My confidence level in that happening is low.

I was hoping that the worst case scenario is that I’d find our way from Geneva to London on our own and they’ll honor the LAX-Rome and London-LAX legs of my itinerary, but they’re telling me that our return from London-LAX will get automatically canceled if we don’t get this resolved. Super.

I’m not an expert by any stretch but I have heard that if you have an itinerary booked and don’t fly one of the legs they auto cancel the rest of the legs.

Obv you’ll get things squared with orbitz/the airlines and wouldn’t just go renegade.

We have finally booked our summer vacation. We decided to nope on air travel and take the train from Toronto to beautiful Montreal for a 4 night stay. Fuck air travel in 2022, Montreal is close enough to a European vacation for me. BONJOUR! DO. YOU. SPEAK. ENGLISH!

Never failed to have a good time in Montreal. Enjoy!

Anyone able to ELI5 this?

It was from not too long ago when Quebec outlawed the common bilingual greeting, “Bonjour hi!” at businesses, insisting on “Bonjour!” only. “Bonjour Ail!” sounds just like “Bonjour hi!”

I assume you don’t mean “outlawed” literally? It was just a norm of some sort?

I had never heard of that, but “Bonjour Hi” does sound kind of dumb, so I can see where they’re coming from there.

I guess they never ended up passing a law (my bad), but they kicked around the idea.

Before the pandemic we went to Montreal every year. We both used to attend a lot of conferences for work and there would be one in Montreal every year. Its a fun town for sure.

1 Like

I try to book two one way flights instead of round trip these days, assuming there’s not a big price difference, which there rarely ever is. Often works out cheaper and keeps you from getting screwed if one leg of your flight is cancelled.

Anyone have any Caribbean recommendations for a couples trip without the kids?

We had the best trip we’ve had in Turks. I’m doing a TR when I get back.

1 Like

Turks, Cayman, Antigua. All great.