Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Yep. Hotels too.

this is the way to go, for domestic stuff in the US, at least. For international trips, booking a one-way generally will put you into a super expensive fare bucket but most domestic routings do not require round trip ticketing.

the downside to buying two one-ways is that if you do need to make a change, if you have a single ticket you only pay a single change fee and you can change both the outbound and the return. But since the major US airlines are all still waiving change fees right now, itā€™s almost always better to get two one-ways.

Iā€™ve been tracking flights to Seattle from Boston (which are too damn high right now). Itā€™s $150 cheaper to book 2 one ways than to do a round trip on the same flights, wtf. Checked after I saw posts ITT.

Also they are both less than half full so Iā€™m surprised itā€™s so damn expensive. Legit cheaper to move my vacation to Paris :expressionless:

I just booked two one-ways to Costa Rica and got great deals on both. The first flight was actually a great deal using miles, 10k per person. The way back will be on southwest which was way cheaper than AA or United.

I donā€™t even think this is really true, or doesnā€™t seem to be for a lot of the international flights I book

I think I should promise myself that any time I say to myself ā€œI could go to fucking PARIS instead of fucking ______________,ā€ I should just automatically buy the Paris ticket.

3 Likes

Can confirm - been several times, but I havenā€™t been back since the major hurricane that went through 4-5 years back (maybe longer?). I heard it badly affected the snorkeling, but maybe it came back. Had a blast there every time.

Was on St. Johnā€™s in January and it was beautiful. 2/3? Of the island being a national park goes a long way. Snorkeling was great too although I donā€™t have a frame of reference as it was my first time. I was looking at real estate by the time we left though.

The storms would be a worry this time of year tbh. Iirc Turks is in that zone where they donā€™t get hit nearly as often.

1 Like

I would go straight to the airline. You should have a reasonable degree of rights with them even though it was booked third party.

Try also downloading the airlineā€™s app or making a frequent flier account on their website and linking the itinerary. It could give you some rebooking tools or options.

Iā€™m pretty sure this is how it would work on Delta (which I use all the time) but worth a shot with BA.

Thank you to the guys above for the Lyon / surrounding areas suggestions. Iā€™m saving them in my travel notes, they wonā€™t go to waste. Weā€™re not going to head to Lyon this year, we decided just to spend the full trip in Switzerland because there was so much we wanted to do, and figured we may never be in that country again. Weā€™ll go to Lyon next year, or the year after, with the kid. Sheā€™s learning French and my wife is a francophile, so thereā€™s likely more than one France trip in our future.

Kid was devastated weā€™re going somewhere without her. Sheā€™s going to a sleep away summer camp! Figured it was a win-win. She didnā€™t see it that way.

1 Like

Thanks. From what Orbitz told me, although the flight is on BA, Virgin Atlantic is actually the authorized carrier. Or something. And on their system Virgin Atlantic was offering zero options to reschedule. So they are supposedly contacting Virgin Atlantic via other means. If they donā€™t come back with something Iā€™ll contact VA myself. Iā€™m really hoping that worst-case scenario is that flight just gets removed from my itinerary and Iā€™ll get myself to London. Iā€™ve come to terms that this issue may cost me considerable money, but if the alternative is canceling my familyā€™s entire two-week vacation (leaving in 9 days!), thatā€™s what Iā€™ll do.

EDIT: I was just reading the EU passengerā€™s bill of rights and it definitely sounds like theyā€™re not allowed to just fuck me over, regardless of what Orbitz says. I booked a backup Geneva-London flight that is cancelable within 48 hours.

Question about baggage: if I end up taking the off-itinerary flight from Geneva to London and then flying my originally scheduled London-LAX flight, will I have to collect my bags in London and check them onto my new flight, or is there a way to have that done automatically?

Iā€™m looking now, generally the cheapest fares to (e.g.) europe require a saturday stayover, etc. But right now it looks like you can get into e.g. the K bucket on Delta on a one-way to CDG, which is a lot better than what Iā€™m used to, but I can still get a V ticket with a one-week stay, which basically results in the round trip ticket being essentially the same as the one-way. Obviously not scientific, I just picked a route and a random tuesday a few months out. Note for business class, the saturday stayover rule isnā€™t in effect, the same fare bucket (I) is available for either itenerary.

One way:

round trip:

1 Like

I always wonder who is paying cash for international business class / first class. Often $20k+ for two people!

Central america is mostly treated as a domestic destination for fare rules etc.

Also for miles tickets, the fare rules are generally a lot different. Itā€™s almost always advantageous to book award trips as two one-ways.

people flying on business using other peopleā€™s money

Everything is screwy right now.

For many years, the rule of ā€œInternational = Must Book Round Trip, Domestic = One Way is OKā€ was ironclad. But recently Iā€™ve seen major one-way penalties on flights even as boring as ATL - JAX, where a round trip was under $400, but a one-way was $400 for each leg of the flight booked separately.

I tried to talk my wife into paying for the business class for our trip to Portugal, it was going to be about $C 5,000 per person I think. She wouldnā€™t go for it.

1 Like

ha my wife now basically doesnā€™t want to fly unless itā€™s business class

been on the opposite side of that question

Once you do it, absolutely impossible to fly coach again. That said, Iā€™m just not going before paying cash.

1 Like

For flights under 6 hours Iā€™ve found the economy plus seats to be tolerable middle ground. I donā€™t need the first class ā€˜luxuryā€™ features (that are obviously still less than you could get for 20-30 bucks including booze on the ground), but Iā€™m tall enough that modern economy seats are basically torture devices that force me to constantly choose between having circulation below the knee or being in a stress position. Thatā€™s not workable.

Iā€™ve basically just accepted that Iā€™m not taking flights without guaranteed leg room and the new price of an economy ticket is whatever the extra leg room seats are going for.