Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

I forget if I posted but Spirit wasn’t so bad, especially in the big seats up front. Still have to pay for water but as long as you know that’s coming it’s not so bad.

I haven’t flown one of them in ages, but I think the main “bad” part of Spirit, Frontier, Allegient, is when something goes wrong. They don’t have the networks to recover and it becomes really painful. Of course, all airlines seem to be struggling with this right now, but it’s certainly more temporary for the legacy carriers.

1 Like

Points or cash? I can’t imagine paying cash.

Points for sure. I can’t imagine paying cash either.

Probably not for another week. Sorry, spent 3 days unwinding now in Austin and then Vegas. I promise it will come next weekend.

1 Like

I can see how Austin would be really cool without about 80% less bachelor / bachelorette parties.

too many or too few?

I don’t know man. iPhone didn’t correct it for me. You get the point!

1 Like

I’ve never even been remotely interested in taking one of these deals, but I’ve never seen cash offers of even over 1K. I can’t think of any scenarios where I wouldn’t take $10K

https://www.chron.com/life/travel/article/Delta-Air-Lines-offered-10-000-to-passengers-17279222.php?t=ee859ff2e0

I thought they had the power to kick people off way before the $10k mark.

Saw a bidding war recently get up to $2,500.

That’s a tougher call for me. I’d definitely turn that down some of the time.

They do, but ever since United bloodied that doctor and dragged him down the aisle when he was bumped, airlines have empowered agents to offer insane amounts of cash to avoid another scene like that.

Think I took a bump once for $500 or something like that. Have been offered up to $800-$1K, which I took, but ended up not being needed.

I’m never accepting a voucher, ever. Cash, yes, but in my experience it’s always a voucher that is both a pain in the ass to use and inevitably expires.

This was cash. They were willing to transfer via apple pay on the spot.

I was thinking about that dude as well. I wonder what happened to him. No doubt he got paid bigly, but he really got the shit kicked out of him. He looked bad.

I wonder what the number was, but I doubt we will ever know.

The $2,500 was via Visa Gift Card (so cash, basically).

I fly to Istanbul tomorrow.

The decision to fly to the Asian side but stay on the European side is gonna lead to a long ass trip once I arrive. But I saved quite a bit of cash doing that.

And man do I hate flying. It’s the price to pay to see cool places I guess.

2 Likes

The answer to “should I be concerned?” turned out to be yes, as they just canceled our flight.

1 Like

Istanbul Airport is nicer than any airport in America, though the security was no joke when I was there a few months ago.