Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Depends on the country. If you mean the whole world? My best guess is mid-late 2022.

Not some super-unusual place.

I just took a quick peek at some flights to Europe in 5-8 months and they are a whole lot cheaper than I was anticipating.

Something like me (US citizen) driving to Canada and flying from there to Italy/Greece/etc. via France/UK/etc. Saw some for under $500 round trip in early 2022.

I think all of those besides Canada are already allowed.

1 Like

Iā€™m already booked to fly to France in ~5 weeks. They French government requires some combination of proof of vaccination and proof of a negative test to enter the country.

Edit: to enter the country from the US. There are some countries on which France has placed more relaxed requirements.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/MexicoCity/comments/7jfxzt/list_for_a_week_in_mexico_city_any_additional/

Hereā€™s a really good primer to Mexico City for the thread. I lived there 3 years and did most of that stuff so feel free to PM for additional details. Currently living in Puerto Vallarta though.

2 Likes

Mexico is a decent option and probably has a city for almost all interests. Lots of Canadians go to Mazatlan, prob my fave beach city in Mexico. Guanajuato is a must visit, Mex City, Oaxaca, Chiapas, etc

You can loop Seattle, Mt Rainier, Mt St Helenā€™s, Portland, head east to Yellowstone, up to Glacier, then back to Seattle.

Thanks. Hadnā€™t really been paying attention to this stuff outside of the US/Canada border crossing.

my comment wasnā€™t specific to japan. I want to go to japan. I have no idea how to travel long distance with kids and have a good time. Being just like any other destination isnā€™t helpful in this case.

1 Like

Also appreciated your previous PM exchange Fossil, thanks!

1 Like

I really liked the Belize mainland - San Ignacio. But if you only have a week Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s feasible. Youā€™ll want to see at least one of the Cayes for sure. You can go to the Blue Hole from either - but I think Ambergris is easier.

Caye Caulkerā€™s motto is ā€œGo slowā€. They donā€™t allow cars, and it is like stepping into a time warp that just slows to a crawl as soon as you get off the boat.

Ambergris Caye is livelier, more party vibe, with more food options. If you do Ambergris Caye get the stone crab claws at Caramba - my favorite meal of the entire trip.

If you do San Ignacio be sure to eat at Ko-Ox Han nah - my favorite restaurant of the trip. Pork tacos are amazing. Itā€™s weird that my favorite meal and restaurant were both in Belize - not really known as a foodie paradise. Also the best AirBnB ever is in Bullet Tree Falls just outside of San Ignacio: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4532384 I think John McAfee was having prostitutes poop in his mouth somewhere around here.

If youā€™re into ruins, Xunantunich is a cool smaller low-key ruin right by San Ignacio. You can also take a day trip to Tikal from San Ignacio (well before covid you could) - which is just massive, and you can climb on all the big pyramids.

Lamanai Ruins are really cool because it comes with a river tour and you can see some glimpses of Menonite farms along the way. But thatā€™s a pain to get to from San Ignacio, and Orange Walk doesnā€™t have much touristy stuff to offer.

Donā€™t go south of the river in Belize City. The area around the Marriott and ferry terminal is fine.

2 Likes

Good stuff suzzer, we have been thinking about going to Belize for our winter trip.

Not sure if things are different but no oneā€™s carry on in terminal 1 in Prague was checked. We had our passports checked and pictures taken. I guess they check at the gates?

EDIT: Yeah they do. Kind of a good idea to split security check into numerous small lines rather than a few enormous ones.

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1414221619984281600

I loathe the term digital nomad, even though itā€™s sort of what I want to do soon. But I plan to keep moving, and not just settle in the innocuous fun places. I think itā€™s because most of the people who proudly label themselves digital nomads do some useless crap like drop-shipping or online advertising - and have zero interest in learning about the local culture. The fact that they love overpriced faux-hippie Bieber-crowd Tulum says everything.

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1414222315181723650

And Selina - ugh. Stayed at one of these in Costa Rica - what a corporate pile of crap. The worst people - coked up frat guys and entitled douchebags. I am going to rip Selina so hard in the book.

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1414223018277183493

Iā€™m going to be more of a tourist in the pastoral places. Maybe I settle in a city like San Jose where I can contribute the the local economy. But I would never settle at a place like Utila Island in Honduras, even though it was one of my favorite places on the whole trip. The whole economy is based around diving. So unless you work in the dive industry, youā€™re just going to drive up rents and barely contribute to the local economy.

Even on my trip I could sense Utila was great to visit but didnā€™t make sense to settle. I assume the island has come kind of self-correction policy to discourage long-term renters who just piddle on their laptop all day. Also I think these douchebags all want to hang out together. Hopefully Utilla stays off their radar.

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1414223848095031300

1 Like

Canā€™t see myself spending any more than a day or two in Varna itself. Gonna be looking for day trips out of it to see interesting stuff.

If youā€™re game for a beach vacation, Varna seems to be a solid deal. Reasonably priced, terrific weather, nice views and one large beach. Ainā€™t gonna get much out of it culturally unless you travel outside of it. The Roman Baths were interesting but they appeared to be neglected and poorly maintained. The restaurants are ultra-touristy (quality coffee though) and museums arenā€™t much of a thing.

Perhaps itā€™s only Varna but there are a shitload of Italian restaurants here. I wonder if the rest of Bulgaria is like Czechs with Vietnamese food.

Yah, sucks that in only 5-10 years, influencers can completely ruin a place. I hope they donā€™t catch wind of Guanajuato City.

Mexico City in 2 days. I am excite. Hopefully practicing zero Spanish during Covid due to no travel doesnā€™t suck too bad.

8 Likes

Wanted to grab a banitsa or mekitsa (both common Bulgarian breakfasts). Went to a place recommended by my host and ended up with their love child.

Has the texture and toppings of a mekitsa and the flavor of a banitsa (when you include the white cheese, Bulgarians really like their cheese). Tastes good.

Kind of hard to explain in greater detail. So hereā€™s a picture.

Next time Iā€™ll get the real thing.

Was supposed to go hiking today but rain is on the horizon. Saw some empty umbrellas on the beach and theyā€™re 5 minutes away by foot. Know what Iā€™ll be doing after my late breakfast.

1 Like

Enjoy! Would love some pics if you get time while traveling.

1 Like