Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

After Dems fail at getting statehood for DC or PR, Repubs will quickly get HA passed as the 51st state in 2025.

1 Like

Weirdest thing was after 1/2 hour or so I look up and read the chyron on right side guy’s screen and I’m like “wait that sounds like actual news” and then realize he’s on CNN. And even later he watches an entire Maddow segment. The fuck?

What kind of weirdo watches the news on an AV flight system? There’s movies, music, and TV shows but you gotta get your Hannity on!?

In the before times I was a pretty hardcore business traveler, and yes, a LOT of people are glued to Fox News on prime time flights.

Just got back from a weekend in Lexington. What a low key amazing city. It seemed super progressive, awesome areas, cool art, great people. Had a blast.

1 Like

That’s disappointing to hear, because my dream trip is to go to St. Petersburg, and at least pre-COVID one of the few ways to travel there without having to get a Russian visa was to travel by ferry from Helsinki for a 3-4 day visit.

Glad you enjoyed. Shame I was out of town. I really do like living in Lexington even if the rest of the state can drive me insane at times.

Yeah I was completely shocked how much I enjoyed it. We stayed close to the North Limestone area. Ate at Favor the first night and then went to a Japanese sake bar called “SRO” which stood for Standing Room Only. It was the highlight of the trip for me; amazing drinks and the owners were super welcoming. Next day we biked over to the Distillery District and bounced around. Etheral brewing was cool. We then went down and ate at a Latin American spot. Stumbled into a bunch of bars including Barona which was a low key locals spot. I’ll definitely be back!

2 Likes

Kentucky is a weird ass state. Both 100% Deplorable and 100% progressive at the same time.

3 Likes

Anyone have a recommendation on which part(s) of Costa Rica to visit for a good mix of exploration, relaxation, and awesome food? Looks like there is 2 airports; San Jose and Liberia.

Calling @suzzer99

Here are the areas I know:

La Fortuna - mid-sized party town, near a bunch of mountains and volcanoes that you can do day trips to.

Tortuguero - National Park on the Caribbean Coast - pretty cool - definitely go if the turtles are laying eggs

Monte Verde - cloud forest, really cool temps - do the night walk and hikes and zip line if you’re into it.

San Jose - I loved the Barrio Escalante neighborhood. This might be your best food options in all of Costa Rica. Look into Finca Escalante hostel for a great central location and lots of other travelers to meet. Look for the restaurant with the big zebra.

Tamarindo - pretty fun beach town, not too douchey. Seek out the restaurant that’s famous for its pineapple pie. It’s incredible.

Jaco - super coked-up douchey beach from what I hear.

Drake Bay - probably my favorite place in CR. Super laid back vibe because it’s hard to get to - lots of stuff like scuba and day trips to 2 different national parks. You can drive but it’s easier to take a boat from Sierpe (you can leave your car). I could spend a week here easy. Look for Hostel or Hotel Margarita.

Dominical - laid back beach, lots of surfers, only spent a day there but it seemed nice

Quepos - best place for diving. Nice national park nearby - Manuel Antonio. We stayed in a hostel in the non-touristy regular part of town more inland and I loved feeling like I was local.

Baldi Hot Springs - upscale resort place with tons of different hot springs and some incredibly dangerous water slides. Good place to go to pamper yourself and the wife for a day.

Liberia - gritty town, not dangerous but not touristy

2 Likes

MVP. Thanks!

1 Like

I got Uvita mixed up with Quepos - edited now.

1 Like

@bestof

1 Like

Hypothetically if I was travelling alone and/or with a partner from Canada, both double vaxx, generally prefer a shorter flight to a longer one (especially right now), want to go somewhere relatively vaxxed/low numbers… what are my options? I’ve done Vegas, NY, and a road trip through the South… should I consider somewhere else in the USA? South America? Just do some all inclusive fluff like Cuba?

Road trip the Olympic peninsula for a week, if you’re into outdoors stuff.

UP of Michigan is legit. Very scenic. Some beaches and lighthouses and waterfalls.

When do people think that we’ll be free of pretty much any COVID restrictions with regards to traveling to other countries (i.e. go to any country and not have to quarantine or anything like that)?

Next two trips up for me are Mexico City in 2 weeks and then Belize for a week end of August. I would appreciate any and all tips and advice for either place. Mexico City we already have a place to stay so don’t need advice on that, Belize we just have our plane tickets are are completely open ended at the moment.