Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Probably everyone is aware of this but thought I’d mention that the US have scrapped the requirement for a negative RAT to enter the country. I am pleased about this.

Flew AA business class back to Japan (about 13 hrs) and was blown away by the difference in comfort.

3 Likes

Well, I figured out why this is.

Unfortunate timing. I have the rest of my month pretty locked down but still don’t know what I’m going to do for my 9 or so days in between Seattle and Jackson.

You’re fucked now. First time I ever flew non-coach, I used my miles to upgrade to United business class from London to LA coming back from a business trip. 8 hours of glorious lay flat sleep. I wasn’t even jetlagged. Pretty much do anything I can do avoid international coach now.

My understanding is that there are a lot of hacks to get business class for relatively cheap especially if you’re flexible on dates. Of course similar strategies can get you cheaper than normal coach tickets sometimes, so you’re always kind of going to be paying a premium.

100% this.

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/1536860286027718658

Oh no this is coming isn’t it?

Double decker trains and buses already exist.

Kind of amazed double decker planes aren’t already ubitquitous.

Do they have seating like that where you can’t move your legs and can barely move your arms? Forget about laptops. Not even sure about reading. Also forget about the blood flow in your legs.

Not that I’ve seen.

Pretty sure that type of seating won’t become prevalent. People are getting bigger and there are too many people with handicaps to make those sorts of seats a popular thing. I’m surprised a proper double decker plane isn’t a thing though.

I’d be down for a plane using the layout of a sleeper bus

Airbus A380. Not particularly successful commercially.

I’m a tall guy who likes to fly coach and usually requests a window seat, and the leg arrangement like that looks like a healthier and more comfortable arrangememt then the status quo. I can deal with the cramping on international coach for a bunch of hours, but I am old enough now that I have real concerns about circulation sitting up like that. Also, like Bob says, most americans probably would be forced to sit up top so if you have a seat in the bottom section you could avoid the real tyranny of coach travel.

The upgrade hacks are getting much much harder. Lots of people have gotten wise to the game, unfortunately.

No idea how the average American actually gets in their seat.

the FAA would never approve this due to evacuation issues. You see weird shit like this all the time in patent applications etc but it’s never coming to market.

REGULATIONS! Just wait until president DeSantis, then business can be free!

Anyone have experience using Turo or another rent-car-from-regular-person type service? Looking for rental cars in Portland this fall and ldo prices are insane, and it appears you can do like 50% better. I assume it is a scame and absolutely should not do, but…

I’ve heard like second and third hand positive reviews. Not sure that’s worth much.

I guess what haven’t heard is any second or third hand negative reviews. So, I guess that’s something.

1 Like

My wife was on a trip last week and a girl in the group used one of those services, the car broke down 5 miles outside SFO. They contacted the guy, left it on the side of the highway and called an Uber to take them to Sonoma. Then rented a regular car once they got there.

1 Like