Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Well that sounds superior to the one time my traditional rental car broke down.

It was a very shitty rental car from a very shitty rental company (but also in SF, though), so probably not a fair comparison.

I used Turo once in Vegas. I went with someone who had a lot of cars and good reviews.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious how people would rate this itinerary, and also if there are any alterations and/or interesting day trips I should include.

A couple things to note are that Iā€™m a bit restricted by flights from Georgia, so I chose the arrival and departure cities based on cheapest flight. Iā€™m also meeting my younger brother in Italy (heā€™s 35 and itā€™s his first time out of USA/Canada), so Rome and Florence dates are set in stone, the other cities I can play around with a little.

SEP 17 - arrive in Wroclaw, Poland (2 nights there)
SEP 19 - bus to Prague (4 nights there)
SEP 23 - overnight sleeper train to Budapest (3 nights)
SEP 26 - flight to Rome (4 nights)
SEP 28? - probable day trip to Naples
SEP 30 - train to Florence (3 nights)
OCT 3 - train to Bologna (3 nights)
OCT 4 - day trip to Venice
OCT 6 - flight to Thessaloniki (2 nights)
OCT 8 - Back to Georgia

It seems like probably itā€™s a big leak going through this part of Italy without seeing any smaller towns, particularly the Tuscan region, but myself and my group are way more into big cities than countryside, although I could be convinced otherwise.

Bologna seems random, but itā€™s a way to get back to Thessaloniki (which has like a $50 flight to Georgia, which is nuts low), and also a decent base for a Venice day trip (can arrive there at 8:30 AM) and could also do another day trip from there (Verona or San Marino maybe).

Really though, Prague and Budapest were the main 2 I wanted to work in, so Iā€™m happy to be able to see them both. Venice, Iā€™d obviously love to spend more time there as it will be my first time, but cheapest AirBNB (for a shared place too) is $90/night and Iā€™m trying to keep it to $60/night max (weā€™ll probably just take a room in Rome, maybe Florence) and other cities weā€™ll be able to find a centrally located studio.

I also wouldnā€™t mind having a bit more time in Budapest and Prague. Iā€™m playing around with the flight arrival options and seeing if thereā€™s anything decent (most arrivals are in Poland b/c Wizz Air is the low cost carrier from Georgia).

Finally, Iā€™m curious if anyone knows Katowice and Wroclaw. I think I could arrive in Katowice, but from photos/vids online it looks kinda shitty, really industrial, lots of roads, not great architecture, subpar center, etc.

I would like to spend 3 months in Poland next year (focus on Warsaw and Krakow), but Iā€™m worried my gf will get a bad impression of Poland if we only see Katowice (Wroclaw seems fine) this time and veto that idea.

If youā€™ve only got 3 full days in Rome I wouldnā€™t spend one of them riding the train back and forth to Naples. So much more to see in Rome.

This one is kinda selfish on my part. Iā€™ve already spent a week in Rome, but havenā€™t seen Naples yet. So I was showing the rest of the group videos and saying ā€œwow it looks so unique and itā€™s only a short train awayā€, but yah, after you do the obligatory Vatican day, then weā€™d have very little time in Rome if we also throw in a Naples side quest.

My girlfriend and I normally prefer slow travel (weā€™ll book a month in certain cities, if possible), but my brother and his partner almost never travel and are more the type that would love to see 6 cities in a week. Iā€™ll probably defer to my girlfriendā€™s decision and respect whatever she decides.

You could make it about eating at that place which is supposed to have the best pizza in Italy. Conveniently itā€™s pretty close to the train station. I forget the name. All the travel shows go there.

Daytripping to Cinque Terre is possible from Florence and you go through Pisa on the way as well, but idk if you want to cram even more stuff into the itinerary.

I assume a Greyhound from Seattle to Olympia isnā€™t going to be that sketchy? I know Greyhound in the US have a reputation for sketch in general. The other option would be to take the Amtrak, but the station is right out on the outskirts of Olympia, so it adds hassle.

Iā€™ve taken Greyhound buses (among others) before and havenā€™t had any issues.

To be fair, it wasnā€™t that exact line. So canā€™t speak for it specifically.

Hmm, thatā€™s a solid idea too.

Oh damn, didnā€™t know Cinque Terre was feasible, will have to see if itā€™s at all possible this trip.

Why are you going to Olympia?

1 Like

greyhound is fine, but amtrak thrn lyft/uber isnā€™t a big deal either. iā€™ve done that a few times

I took a greyhound from Atlanta to Savannah once. Never again.

Itā€™s not Iā€™m-in-mortal-danger sketchy, but the Atlanta greyhound station is such an epic nightmare that people go to extremes to avoid using the bathrooms there, and as soon as everyone got on the bus there was a line to use the bathroom, which was swiftly ruined. Our bus station is literally a bunch of double-wides stitched together as a temporary bus station for the 96 Olympics, in what has since become the sketchiest part of downtown. Itā€™s almost comical, but also sad commentary on the USā€™s disregard for public spaces, especially ones used by lower income people in red states.

This probably is not an issue in the blue states as much, which have money for luxuries like real bus stations.

Itā€™s a relatively short ride. I wouldnā€™t be enthusiastic about taking Greyhound cross-country, but the people who are really sketched out about Greyhound are the people who are uncomfortable around poor and/or black people.

Iā€™d suggest wearing a mask, more for the smells than for COVID

When I went in April we had to show our vaxx status but no one asked for our negative test (although we had them because we thought we needed them).

1 Like

Took a Greyhound bus from NY to CA 20 years ago or so, and certainly wouldnā€™t recommend that (although the memories rate to last a lifetime). But, for something short like that, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be fine. At the end of the day youā€™re sitting in a chair for a couple few hours, how bad could it be?

The only image that pops into my head when I think of Greyhound bus is that guy who had a psychotic break and decapitated and starting eating his seatmate.

But Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be fine.

3 Likes

https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

They require a negative test. However, it should be noted that normally test results that are submitted to the airline are then forwarded to border control of the destination. So even if not asked for at the border, they still have a copy of it in advance (which could explain why they didnā€™t ask for it for mosdef).

Translated to englishā€¦ you need a neg test to fly. Portugal has the most lax entry requirements in the EU. If youā€™re good to fly, Portugal ainā€™t checking shit. Outbound airport checks your passport, return flight status and covid test too. Simples.

There is always an obnoxious drunk on a bus, and the only way to avoid that person is to be that person.

5 Likes