Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Paris is probably the best hangin out city in the world.

1 Like

Just booked a 4-day guided backpacking trek in the Wind River Range, WY, in early August. So I guess this US trip is actually happening. Havenā€™t been out of the country since 2018. Going to be awesome.

5 Likes

A couple Ubers is probably the most straightforward.

You can also book a car service that has a large van - although Iā€™m not even sure what the main car services are these days in NYC. I think Carmel still exists because they send me emails now and then. I would imagine their price for 8pax van >> 2 Ubers.

1 Like

Yah it looks like a couple Uber XLs would be ~half of what the van services appear to be quoting. No biggie - Uber was garbo in Vegas last year but Iā€™m not traveling a ton and assume itā€™s fine now.

My last couple of Ubers at LGA have been fine. You could always get a busy time/day, but even still it should be fine. IIRC, Vegas had issues of not enough cars and long waits - thatā€™s pretty much never the case at LGA.

1 Like

itā€™s still garbo from time to time (highly dependent on time and city)

be prepared to wait, especially if you need an XL. Also be flexible, I have had times in multiple cities recently where uber had nothing available but lyft did

1 Like

heading into manhattan, at least, I think youā€™re nuts to use uber/lyft over just grabbing a cab

1 Like

Yah? Assume there are yellow cab vehicles thatā€™ll accommodate 4?

Whyā€™s that?

I will say you can check the Uber/Lyft price as your deplaning, and if itā€™s something crazy (compared to a $40-50 yellow ride into Manhattan), then yeah it can makes sense to yellow cab it. Although a small premium is certainly worth it IMO to not have to have some back and forth on where youā€™re going, exactly where to stop, etc.

For a visitor dealing with multiple parties and vehicles, 2 Ubers seems much more seamless.

yeah there are yellow minivans etc

mostly because cabs are always the same price and you donā€™t have to wait

honestly for LGA->manhattan, I usually take the Q70 bus to the subway

Plus you might get on Cash Cab if you go that route

3 Likes

Yah Iā€™d go full public transport but we have a couple little ones in tow plus gear in this instance.

Even for the most ardent supporter of public transportation, LGA into Manhattan is quite the commitment!

If its anywhere near rush hour, I reccomend just taking the M60 bus to Broadway and 116. Definitely will get a slice of NYC life on that trip.

Going to Shreveport, LA next week. Literally never been in the south aside from Disneyworld.

You know, about 10 yrs ago Iā€™d have said Florida doesnā€™t count. But, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m going to have to allow it now.

florida isnā€™t the south. wtf

North and west of Tampa is definitely the south.

2 Likes