Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Somebody definitely lives there. There’s toothbrushes and shampoo bottles in the bathroom, plus a scrubby thing you’d never leave for random guests. They also might have a cat, or they’re just one of those weird people who can’t figure out the right way to hang a roll of toilet paper.

1 Like

Lack of communication so early in the process is enough for me to cancel no matter how nice a place is. Hopefully, the host’s policy isn’t strict (or that it’s still within the first 48 hours since reservation).

I’m enjoying Detective ZikZak ITT.

3 Likes

It says I can cancel until July 29th.

1 Like

I’m also leaning towards it being fake since I can’t find any likely matches in that location, but satellite resolution over Paris kinda sucks.

Well yeah you can always cancel. It’s a matter of how much money you get back when you do.

Says full refund.

1 Like

Well apparently the phone call worked. Because I just got a message that Colin agreed to change my reservation (to remove the overlapping day with the other AirBnB). So it looks like we’re good to go! (hopefully) He said he accidentally had notifications turned off.

I just spent an hour looking and nothing else comes close to that place - even at like 50% more expensive. Total cost for that place is $991 for 7 nights.

Now I just need to fade the freak heat wave. That place looks like a greenhouse.

1 Like

Might want to check if he’s got air-con given your concern over a heat wave. Not a lot of people do because of how expensive electricity is.

I know I lived without air-con in Spain for nearly 4 years.

1 Like

No air con. That was my only reservation about the place. Looks like August in Paris is typically 78/60. So I’m hoping to fade one of those heat waves that come every five years or so and kill people.

Technically I can cancel up until July 29th. By then I’ll know if a heat wave is coming. Although I’d hate to do that to Colin now what we’re buds.

1 Like

Ah “air-con”… takes me back.

Never heard a single person in America call it that (excluding suzzer’s last post). It’s generally AC here.

But outside US, air-con is the default short form in a lot of places.

Like I said, I made it through 4 years in Spain without air-con. It’s really not as essential in temperate zones as people make it (assuming you don’t have certain health problems). It’s more of a luxury.

You’re good so long as you have an electric fan.

@Melkerson guess I’m becoming less American by the day

How essential it is seems to be changing pretty fast. Where I am it’s not so much higher temps during the day as not cooling off nearly as much at night. When the overnight low is 65 you can’t get rid of the daytime heat in the house before the next day rolls around. So instead of starting out with a cool morning your baseline is mid-70’s inside, and it only goes up from there. This has become quite noticeable here, and measurable.

1 Like

Redondo Beach otoh is turning into San Francisco. It was cold and foggy almost the entire summer last year. For the first time I can remember there wasn’t one day all year where you really wished you had air conditioning.

Flying into NYC-LaGuardia Friday and need to get 6 adults and 2 kids to midtown Manhattan.

Done the AirTrain plenty from JFK to the city, but not sure what is optimal from LGA. I assume a couple ubers will probably get it done, but didn’t know if that is state-of-the-art.

Sounds like a perfect time to call a town car company (I think they have vans).

1 Like

Bastille is fine. I stayed a month in Folie-Méricourt in January so passed through Bastille all the time and would have no issues staying there.

I’m very surprised at those prices. I paid $1350 for 1 month for a 28 m2 place in the Winter, so in the Summer I would have expected that first place you posted to be more like $200/night.

$1350 a week or for the whole month?

Month, but I think it was a pretty decent find and also a super tiny place in a bit worse location than Bastille in the Winter.

Ah. Yeah some of those Paris places reminded me of NYC places that really shouldn’t be apartments - with the stove in the living room and bed in the hallway. For two weeks while I still have a day job I figured I could live in comfort.

I’m taking a 2-week class that’s in two different locations in Paris. The place for the first week in the 1st Arr. Much smaller and more expensive. But it has AC just in case there’s a heat wave. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4174533/photos

I’m really looking forward to just hanging out in Paris for two weeks. Finding a local cafe and pretending I’m Ernest Hemingway in the 20s.

2 Likes