Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Why does this person want voice messages? Text messages are fine. If she demands them in French, then use Google Translate.

I’d probably move onto someone else. Seems like a pain in the ass. There’s an ungodly number of AirBnBs in Paris. They should practically be fighting each other for you.

1 Like

AirBnB has two options - message through the app, or “Call Host” - but doesn’t show the number. I did see the number when my computer called. So I could try to text that.

Gotta be honest. Never called an AirBnB host in my life.

I’d rather keep everything written so there’s a record if there are any disagreements.

2 Likes

100% this.

it’s a virtual certainty that is not the host’s number and instead is a airbnb switchboard and their system connects you to the host’s actual number.

Ah - well the number was French country code.

Agree the whole thing seems a little odd. Does the listing/host have a lot of reviews?

I’ll be in Saint Louis for an afternoon next week (work trip). It’s one of the last decent-sized cities in the US I haven’t been to.

Any recs on what I can do within a couple hours–cool neighborhood or place to eat? I’ll probably walk under the gateway arch for the hell of it obv.

This is always a good way to weed out the fake/scame ones imo. Never book ones with less than 10 reviews imo.

That would worry me suzzer but I think some of these airbnbs the hosts live there for big chunks of the year and may not really be in airbnb host mode if they don’t have it rented for months in advance. Why are you messaging them this far out?

Not sure if this is a thing you can still do, but there used to be this crazy ratcheting elevator thing you could take to the top of the arch then get out and walk around the top. There are windows up there and ldo pretty great views.

1 Like

Go to The Grove and spend some time. I lived there for a year and loved it.

Urban Chestnut is there and they have great beer, food, and vibes.

Gramophone has awesome sandwiches.

There is a ton of shops, bars, and restaurants along Manchester.

I would make it a priority to get to Side Project if you enjoy beer at all. It’s elite.

1 Like

Clothes on the coat rack and clutter in the kitchen make it likely that apartment is owner occupied at least part of the year.

2 Likes

Not just written but written within the AirBnB private messaging. That way it’s easier for AirBnB to act on any problems that may arise.

1 Like

Yeah the host seems to have ok reviews - including one from April 2022. https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/25616039

Here’s the listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/51546137

Get Italian food on The Hill.

3 Likes

Because I screwed up and overlapped the two air bnbs by a day. So I want to change it to check in on Sunday instead of Sat. Apparently I can’t just do that, it has to be approved by the host.

Makes sense. 5 total reviews with 4 of them in a 2-3 month period last year tells me either the listing is fake or they probably live there most of the year and rent it in the late summer-fall or something. Probably lean the latter but it could be either. Not sure which part of Paris that is in but that seems like a pretty sick deal.

ETA- looks like it’s literally unavailable for the rest of the year now.

Yes, if he would reply to my AirBnB messages that would be great.

If I don’t hear from the host by tomorrow I may cancel and switch to this place: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53337427

They’re both in The Bastille neighborhood, 11th Arrondissement, which seems kind of gritty/industrial.

One thing I’m worried about is hitting Paris on one of those freak heat waves. Only a few of these places have AC.

1 Like

I’ve rarely used AirBNB. If it were me, I’d probably book a backup (assuming I could cancel it later), and continue to try and suss out what’s going on with your preferred listing. Even if it’s completely legit, lack of response would have me concerned in the event something actually does go wrong, or you have to change plans, etc.