Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Are the tomatoes in Italy supposed to be something mind blowing compared to the rest of the world?

I’ve had caprese in Rome that was absolutely sublime.

I splurged for two high end restaurants this year in Rome and really wish I hadn’t.

Neighborhood places that aren’t super expensive are the best.

3 Likes

Maybe you had too many tomatoes? Italian food is absolutely fantastic even if it may also be overrated.

I really like most Italian food but cacio e pepe is one dish I simply do not get.

I’ve also had great caprese in Rome, but it was more about the mozzarella and the balsamic. Also every time i’ve ordered cacio e pepe, i’d rather just have a well made carbonara.

I’ve only had it twice now - once at a place by me in LA that foodie hipsters flock to, and once tonight. Very much enjoyed it both times. I like the big fat noodles with the extra al dente, and the salty/alfredo-ish sauce.

Yeah it’s definitely about the mozzarella. And now you’re making me think about Carbonara tomorrow night.

1 Like

Some girl next to me got some pasta that the waiter shaved a bunch of truffles onto. Looked amazing.

Yeah my general plan when I was dining around Italy was, if there’s ever any uncertainty about what to get, get the thing with truffles.

That was my son’s plan as well and it never failed him.

1 Like

Gelato with truffles and I’d never need to order anything else.

Maybe! But I don’t think so, my favorite pizza in Rome was not a Neapolitan pizza, but a thicker crust Roman one with an almost obnoxious base of crushed tomatoes, topped with tons of burrata and basil. It was good, great, but I sadly I never had a meal in Italy that really blew me away…

I finally pulled the trigger on one of those cheeseless pizzas. It’s really good! And I don’t feel as bogged down afterwards.

1 Like

That’s freaking cool.

Do you not care for Italian food?
Or are you asking if Italian restaurants serve better food than Italian-American restaurants in NYC, Boston, Philly, etc.?

This is correct. It is both top tier and overrated at the same time.

Roman > Neopolitan imo

I think one of the issues is that, for Americans, good Italian food is just easier to locate in the US even if there are fewer places to get it.

Right, so unless the ingredients are fresher in Italy, I don’t see why Italians in Italy would be better at cooking restaurant meals than Italians in the US.

More discerning customers will force them to provide a better product.

1 Like

Exactly. Just like BBQ outside a BBQ hot spot. Although that’s changing some as people who win BBQ competitions fan out. They seem to have a better process that doesn’t slip over time.