Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Water the Elephants!

1 Like

Welp we extended the trip for a couple days

Were you guys aware this shits legal here?

4 Likes

Caught a good shot of Barad-Dur, home of Sauron the Great in downtown Brooklyn

2 Likes

Going to Spain again this autumn
no plans so far
Plane ticket to Malaga airport
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Andalucia is pretty great and can easily combine a # of spots, Sevilla, Córdoba, Granada, etc. and The Alhambra was one of the most impressive things I’ve seen in my travels.

1 Like

My main association to Andalusia:

1 Like

Is it really dumb to fly into Rome without booking the big tourist attractions online ahead of time in the middle of summer- but midweek?

Edit: I already know the answer to this is probably yes, but what’s best to book farthest in advance? Is there anywhere cool I can just wake up at 6am and have the place to myself?

2 Likes

I’ve been really impressed by Cluj-Napoca so far.

Honestly, it really feels like all of Romania should have way more tourists than it actually does.

1 Like

Except Bucharest. It’s kinda cool in like a dystopian way I guess. The rest of Romania is great though and way more cost effective than most of Europe these days.

I suspect it will become way more touristy now that it’s in the EU. It would also help if they’d update their train system.

They love tourorists

Small rustic farm of 1,000m2 for rent with a small 20m2 agricultural house with a cistern.

I think the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain are something you can just wake up early and do, and I don’t think the Borghese art museum necessarily needs reservations. You can check out the exterior of the Colosseum any time for free, and you can overlook the ancient Roman forum. Going into those, and the Vatican, is probably going to be dicey.

2 Likes

I was actually surprised with the cost of going out in Romania. A dinner out costs more here than in Prague.

Colosseum closes early, be aware. When we were there the last entry was 3pm iirc.

1 Like

Imo there’s not much to see in the coliseum and the Vatican was just shuffling thru crowds listening to guards shout “no pictures!” Unless you have specific things you want to see, don’t spend too much time where you’re basically just seeing things you already know by images.

2 Likes

I agree with all this, trevi fountain and pantheon are fine choices, the big attractions you should do prebook for ease of entry. You don’t have to go with a group, but the line for the Vatican, that we sidestepped last year, looked to be a few hours long.

Go get a sandwich at All’antico vinaio by the pantheon, there are two locations like a block away, they were fantastic

1 Like

Thanks! And yeah it looks like the Vatican will have to be part of a guided tour, the Borghese is actually really booked up but they sell some discounted tickets for one hour and 15 minutes right before they close that are still available, colosseum has afternoon slots. I’m sure I’ll like Rome once I’m there, but this type of advanced planning is not for me

1 Like

How’d you sidestep the Vatican lines?

My cousin was telling me the Vatican is pretty overrated and way over crowded, but I feel like I still have to go

I think the Vatican is great, but it’s basically a big art museum that you can only go through in one route (although the art they have is amazing)

I think you can still visit Saint Peter’s Basilica even if you don’t have reservations for the other parts of the Vatican

2 Likes

We booked a walking tour. It wasn’t super expensive and they had a group entrance with a guide.

You can definitely book this stuff day before/ day of, too.

1 Like