Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Zabar’s is very good. Love that neighborhood.

Thanks for all the recs, everyone.

I hope it lives up to the hype. I’ve had lots of great cookies in my day. Not sure how blown away I can possibly be. I have had one that claims to be the same recipe, but I don’t think I should count it. It was quite good, though.

I’ve been to NYC a bunch and never been there. I feel like I just need to check it off the list.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I would do pre-kids. Now I’ve gotta plan more.

Not that wide. Pizza, Mexican, and Italian are all good. They also like Japanese, Korean, some Chines, and Middle Eastern. Of course typical American food works too, but I’d only want that unless it’s like the GOAT version of a particular thing.

This is great. Thanks.

Also looks good.

Thanks. These look promising as well. Gonna have to make some tough decisions.

So where would you go for the best Reuben?

I thought I’d heard of this place before. Menu looks interesting but don’t see anything like what I’d order at Katz’s.

Bagels are a good idea. I like them OK, but everyone else in the family loves them.

Lots of good stuff here. I just remembered that the other family we’re going with has a couple of vegetarians (not vegan). We’ve got pizza and Italian covered. Any good vegetarian friendly restaurants besides those? If I do Katz’s, some meatless meals might not be a bad idea.

Our hotel is directly across from the Freedom Tower. Looks like we are 1.6 mi from Katz. Gonna try to get by there later.

2 Likes

If the lineup at Katz’s is insane, the bagels at Russ & Daughters (only a block away) are a great alternative.

Are you into craft beers? My favorite place in NYC is reasonably close as well, Proletariat is just 15 minute walk from Katz’s.

Also my favorite place to watch movies in NYC is also close by, the Angelika at Houston and Broadway. You might not think that going to the movies is a great use of NYC time, but they often have the kind of indie films you’re not going to find at your AMC.

I hope you have fun in my adopted NYC “hood”. We spent 6 weeks renting an apartment at 2nd and Avenue C many years ago, and we regularly stay at the Standard East Village right around there now when we visit NYC.

4 Likes

We dipped into an Irish pub (with a real Irish bartender) yesterday while trekking back from Battery Park and someone we talked to there also mentioned Proletariat. I love craft beers, she’s more of a Mich Ultra pleb.

Also, since Sunday at the first airport, I have walked
more in the past three days than I have in the past three years. Everyone here looks to be in better shape than I, no doubt it’s from all the walking.

We are both currently still in bed trying to recover. I am “stove up” as my granddaddy used to say. Just ate a handful of Advil.

Oh and we are staying at One World Center hotel. Here is our view

2 Likes

I think this is more important post-kids. if you’re dragging kids around then it’s doubly important to pick restaurants near to things your’e going to be doing rather than flit around the city back and forth.

For the travel nerds: https://travle.earth/

4 Likes

Architects getting cute up here

Also what’s up with all the scaffolding over sidewalks? Is that just a feature? It’s everywhere, and it’s clear there’s no construction going on above it. It’s nice to be able to get out of the hot sun when you hit a scaffolded block of sidewalk, but I wouldn’t like it if I owned a business beneath one, you can’t tell what they are unless you walk right up to it.

New York City’s Everlasting Scaffolding https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/24/nyregion/nyc-scaffolding.html?unlocked_article_code=1.700.TolG.11nukGYklZUN

2 Likes

NYC has an inspection team that examines all the buildings over 6 stories (there are lots of them in NYC) and if they decide your building is a “risk” for debris falling then you have to erect scaffolding until you do the repairs and get a clean inspection. On top of that, for any renovation / maintenance work the permit will require the erection (hee hee) of scaffolding.

Because NYC has so many people walking around all the time, the protection of people on the sidewalk from falling materials is much stricter than in typical car dependent cities.

The Scaffolding episode is probably my favorite How to with John Wilson.

If anybody wants the best NYC B-roll footage out there, you can’t do better than that show. Its incredible.

That’s the Jenga Tower (officially 56 Leonard)

STONKS

7 Likes

Om nom

4 Likes

Watch the “How to With John Wilson” episode on scaffolding on HBO, it explains it well.

2 Likes

I’ll never finish this

5 Likes

“I’ll never finish this” is their vibe. I hope you have a great time in NYC, it’s really an amazing place.

1 Like

I never would have imagined in a million years that Katz’s even has any mayonnaise on offer. City going to hell in a handbasket imo.

3 Likes

Neat

2 Likes