Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Katz’s is expensive. But that just means like $28 for a pastrami sandwich. Totally worth it as an experience imo. When I was there the line wasn’t bad. But it was like 1am. Real Manhattanites go to Katz’s all the time.

Doesn’t Momofuku have some kind of weird lottery for reservations? Also I doubt it’s insanely expensive. Nothing like high end sushi or French food anyway.

1 Like

I’m sure it happens, but I seldom hear of a New Yorker going to Katz’s unless it was their first time doing it or going with someone from out of town. A $30 corned beef sandwich piled a foot high just screams tourist attraction, but I also don’t think it’s a sin to do some touristy things when you’re a tourist somewhere. It’s definitely a unique experience.

1 Like

I thought that was Momofuku Ko, which closed last year, while the original Momofuku Noodle Bar remains open.

1 Like

there’s so much good food in manhattan/brooklyn I don’t generally plan for particular restaurants, I plan a day and then just look for the good spots in whatever neighborhood

1 Like

Gonna be 106 degrees in Timisoara tomorrow.

Fuck. My. Life.

What is your kids’ range for “kid friendly”?

In NYC, the go to option for kid friendly is pizza because the city does in fact have rocking good pizza places. But there’s also lots of good Mexican food, and of course Italian food in NYC is also very good even if you just go to a “boring” red sauce American-Italian type of place.

1 Like

Those place are all good. (Haven’t been to noodle bar but every other Momofuku place I’ve eaten at was great)

Also consider
Dim sum: tons of good places in Chinatown, just check the recent reviews
Korean: lots of places around 32nd between 5th and Broadway. There’s a food court if you want a little bit of everything as well as plenty of sit down places.
Xi’an famous foods: this is kind of like central Chinese fast food with locations all over the city. My go-to order is a lamb burger and cold noodles. Downside is there’s not much seating at most locations.
Minetta Tavern: spot in the West Village probably best know for its Black Label Burger made from aged prime rib

1 Like

For Chinese places, we had a nice meal here last time I was in NYC:

And it’s in midtown for @Melkerson .

Noodle Town

and the basement of Wo Hop

would be good for kids. both in Chinatown, extremely popular and pretty reasonable as far as cost. food is more than decent too.

1 Like

Don’t go to Katz’s, the line is insane and the food is fine and there are tons of great delis around the city.

1 Like

Lulz,

We just finished off a string of 16 consectuive days at 100+ and 6 consecutive of 110+ topping out at 117.

Get on my level, scrub.

obv I’m a white boy so this is the most basic of recs, but there is some good ass Bibimbap in NYC

I went to Katz’s once. Their sandwiches are good, but if you’re going to be in the Lower East Side and you want deli I would never choose them over Russ & Daughters.

3 Likes

Ess a Bagel is sooooooooo good

1 Like

this may be the woat website but Absolute Bagels are incredible. they’re way up on the UWS though

and Katz’s is fine for the one-time experience and the food more than just ok. ask for the pastrami extra juicy if you don’t use waiter service. and the line outside goes pretty quickly even when it’s around the block.

1 Like

Tip the person before they start making your sandwich if you want the pastrami to reach the moon.

If I’m getting smoked salmon on a bagel, I like to go to Zabar’s. For everyday bagels, my neighborhood place (Tal) is good.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Used to go to the basement Wo Hop quite often back in the early 2000’s after a night out. Was top notch then for Wontons etc when pissed up.

This. Ignore the signs saying no tipping.