Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

bugs were… not bad. but I’m coming from the south, where bugs are absolutely out of control.

oregon coast would be pretty sweet as well. if you want to mix in some more urban time, staying in SF and doing golden gate national park, muir woods etc might be worth checking out, the weather is almost always pleasant this time of year and bugs are minimal.

1 Like

California is nice as long as you stay within a few miles of the coast or get up into the mountains.

1 Like

given this, would recommend the National Parks in Minnesota and Wisconsin. took a “mini” road trip with my kids a few years ago (it was mini for us) over the summer where we started in Minneapolis and visited:

The drive from one park to another is pretty easy and there’s all sorts of great stuff to do at each. Voyageurs is gorgeous too.

1 Like

We’re taking an alaskan cruise out of Seattle next week, but we’re there for 3 nights, any suggestions for things to do while in town?

Taking a walk-on ride on the Bainbridge Island ferry and coming back is an easy way to enjoy the views of the Sound.

For museum-ish places, the Museum of Pop Culture, the Museum of Flight, and the Chihuly Garden and Glass are all good. You probably know based on the titles whether they are for you.

The Underground tour is pretty neat, too. Not much else like it anywhere

Pike Place Market is cliche but pleasant

Honestly, just a drive or bike ride across the I-90 floating bridge on a clear day is well worth the price of admission ($0).

Theo Chocolate has a good tour that’s an easy sell.

Hit up a hole in the wall teriyaki joint for lunch one day.

2 Likes

Oregon Coast is really nice this time of year. Cool breeze off the water and then Oregon Coast has really great tide pools. Also lots of shark quaint towns to explore.

We went camping down the coast last year and had a great time.

1 Like

Krakow is a solid trip for a long weekend. Girlfriend and I loved it.

Other food I’d track down

Halibut and chips, especially battered instead of breaded.

A bustling Chinese place in the International District where you’d be the only white people, or at least close to it.

Beecher’s flagship cheese (also good cheese curds if you go to their spot at Pike Place) and/or Cougar Gold (delicious cheese in a can, but hard to find even in Seattle or anywhere away from Pullman)

If you are feeling a bit balla, neither the view nor the brunch at Salty’s on Alki can be beat. Its dinner menu can be beat, but if you are going there for dinner, it’s for the view (not that the food is at all bad, it’s just not the best in the city for the price).

The crab and corn chowder at Anthony’s Pier 66 (not any of the other Anthony’s around the metro area, only the flagship at pier 66, and also not at the diner downstairs but only at the nice restaurant upstairs) is one of the best single dishes in the city.

Unfortunately you are too late for Copper River Salmon, but that is the best salmon in the world and only available briefly. Any wild caught Pacific salmon, especially king, will be good, though.

Holy Mountain and Fremont are two of my favorite breweries, but there are tons of good ones.

1 Like

I am amidst a Cali coast road trip of Redwoods, wine county, San Francisco, Monterey Bay and Hearst Castle that isn’t strictly natural wonders (San Francisco) and doesn’t strictly beat the heat (wine country), but that checks a lot of boxes. Oregon coast is really nice, too, but I am not so sure about it for more than a few days unless you really love tide pools.

The fundamental cultural difference between Europe and the U.S. is that Europeans like to cocoon their luggage in Saran Wrap

What’s up with that?

Anyone got some Tahoe recommendations? Want to do a random few days with the wife in the summer. Plan would be more looking, eating and drinking than big hiking stuff.

I always liked visiting Truckee, CA when I was in Tahoe. Worth the trip I think (assuming you have a car).

1 Like

I’m going to Bengaluru for a work trip right now, will have next weekend free. Any recs? Thinking about a day trip to Myosore, flight to Delhi for Taj Mahal or maybe just hanging out in the city. First time in India for me, will have Uber/Driver the whole time.

How many free days do you have exactly? If you’re starting in Bengaluru, then Delhi/Taj Mahal is pretty much your whole weekend right there (assuming you need to come back for your flight home) and it will be tight unless planned perfectly. I’d just check out the city if you want to relax. Should be plenty of things to occupy a weekend.

1 Like

Friday afternoon and Saturday+ Sunday until midnight.

Yeah I think you’re right, I just have FOMO. Not sure if I’ll ever be in this part of the world for the rest of my life

Logistics and Transportation in India aren’t that great. I’m only slightly exaggerating when I say that trying to pull that off with a decent amount of sightseeing is going to be like your own personal episode of the Amazing Race.

1 Like

Going to NYC in a few weeks (just Manhattan). Need some recs for places to eat. Looking for can’t miss stuff that is kid friendly and pretty casual. Near midtown is a plus but not required.

Here are some of the kind of things I’m thinking about

-Momofuku Noodle Bar
-Katz’s Deli
-Levain Bakery

I am not even sure if those are just over hyped and real Manhattanites know even better spots (in which case I want those).

Based on youtubes I’ve seen these are expensive places with long to very long lines.

1 Like

IMO, Levain is it. I’d do unspeakable things if I had to for their chocolate chip walnut.

1 Like