Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Boomers cigar and bourbon? Looks cool. We’ll check it out.

Biscuit head ainec. A must. Biscuit sandwiches are the most quintessential north carolina food and best enjoyed with a bottle of cheerwine.

Curate is good high-endish spanish place

Buxton Hall for whole pork bbq (a bit hipsterish). It is very good but actually east carolina style (whole hog in vinegar sauce) and not western. For western carolina style (pork shoulder in red sauce) go to Lexington bbq if its on your way in some road trip.
There’s another well regarded bbq place called 12 bones i think. I was contemplating between the two and didnt go to that one so can’t tell you. Try both i guess, bbq is tasty.

Sunny Point Cafe for huge breakfast and comfort food. Not my style normally but i the food was tasty.

Chai Pani is tasty indian street food place that was packed when we were there. Food was good and when we went to pay to waiter said some couple paid for our meal (i guess as a pay it forward thing?), so the value for money was excellent. YMMV

2 Likes

I tried to get a reservation at curate but waited too long. I’ve got reservations at Limone and Zambra. I’ll make sure and add the others to the list. Thanks Yuv!

I had originally planned to leave on Nov 8 for a rather lengthy Euro/W Asia trip, but we had to change the date (for no fee) to Dec 6 b/c we were unsure whether my girlfriend would be vaccinated in time. She finally got vaxxed this week (she’s Mexican, so much slower process here) and we’re taking care of some minor details with our Chihuahua, who’s also coming along.

The itinerary is finally taking shape and will look like this:

Madrid - 1 week
Sevilla - 1 week
Córdoba - 1 week
Granada - 1 week
Málaga - 1 week
Barcelona - 4 weeks

Athens - 1 week

Istanbul - 1 month

Tbilisi, Georgia - 3 months+

Hopefully I’m not overlooking anything, but we’re super excited with this itinerary. We didn’t want to move around too much w/the dog and also favoured places that are a bit warmer in the Winter.

My younger brother and his partner are probably doing a week long visit to Europe sometime in the Spring, so I wanted to save a bit of time under the 90 day Schengen limit, just in case.

We’re planning to move to one of these places for at least a year in late 2022. Istanbul or Tbilisi seem most likely due to lower cost of living and relative ease of getting a visa. Spain would be nice, but their visa is a bit trickier and they also have horrible regulations for self-employed workers (you have to pay like 200E a month just to register as self-employed) and also extra cost of living.

6 Likes

yw. Asheville is pretty. Do you have a car? Boone and Blowing Rock are cute little stops (very touristy). Especially during fall. The drive on blue ridge highway is gorgeous

Oh forgot about early girl eatery. Another good biscuit place. Eat biscuits drink bloody marys. Its a solved game

1 Like

Yeah. We are driving there with another couple. They are in charge of outdoorsy shit; I’ve got the food and beer portion.

Lists of drinking establishments on the list include:

1 Like

Sadly i was in asheville twice but have not discovered good beer at the time :(

Going to LA for a conference, doing Hollywood for a day, channel islands day trip and two days at Joshua Tree. Any good pointers?

if you are in asheville, make sure you checkout and tip street buskers. one of my favorite moments was seeing the spoon lady years before she had a documentary made about her. About ⋆ Abby the Spoon Lady

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll be able to walk from Zillicoah to Getaway. The location of both is a former industrial park and there aren’t any sidewalks in the area. I mean, you can do it but it might get a little weird. At least worth checking out before venturing out.

Adding to the list:

• I had an amazing meal at Posana about 7 years ago and reviews still look very solid.
  • Had a tasty steak at Asheville Proper on my birthday a few years ago, they cook over an Argentinian style live fire grill which is both tasty and entertaining to watch.
  • My favorite pizza in the area is in West Asheville at Pizza Mind. There is also a mediocre brewery next door and a cidery across the street.
  • Another WAVL spot that is great is Hole Donuts, but it’s literally just donuts + drinks.
  • Best beer bar is The Whale, also in WAVL. They have a wide variety of beer styles and very rare shit, plus basically all outdoor seating. But if you’re just wanting to pick up some beers to take home, check out Appalachian Vintner.
  • IMO, best coffee is Farewell coffee at the bottom of the South Slope. Would also highly recommend Dobra Tea if you’re more of a tea drinker.
  • I also have to mention Zebulon Artisan Ales which is 10 minutes up interstate 26 in Weaverville. It’s a pretty small place and only open to the public on Friday/Saturday from 1pm-6pm, but 99% of the time it is just the brewer and his wife serving your beers.
1 Like

Thanks a ton for this. A lot of these sound really intriguing. I’ll post some pics as we go.

Currently at The Whale. All I can say is thank you! Amazing.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! My first time there I was introduced to the owner/manager (a slightly chubby white guy with dreads named Ross) and his wife through a mutual friend. They were just sitting at a table enjoying the evening and the beers with some friends. They welcomed my gf and I to their table and we bonded since they were just in Seattle area for some hikes. Honestly wish I still lived in Asheville… and may be figuring out ways to make that happen in the near future.

1 Like

I drank a bunch of beers and bought this stupid jacket next door :slight_smile:

1 Like

From what I can see if that jacket, it’s hideous.

Shop owner should be giving kickbacks to the bar owner

1 Like

Second trip happening this week. If I have only two days, what are some must dos/eats in Chicago?

Are you planning to eat some deep dish pizza or do you have taste and self-respect?

1 Like

Little of column A, Little of column B

The Picasso at Daley Plaza. And then you’re right around the corner from Calder’s Flamingo.