Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Jealous! In early 2019 I went to the Big Island just months after lava flow from Kilauea had stopped and the lava lake had receded from the caldera near Volcano National Park. Got to see the crater but they had closed the observation spot overlooking it because of steam explosions that happen when the lava receded and mixes with the water table.

Here she is dormant, I stayed in a little house (Crater Rim Cabin) just outside the park for a couple nights. Great spot if you want to explore the park.

4 Likes

We are about to book our first flight since COVID. Me, the wife, and two kids (currently 4.5 years, six months old). Hoping to have the least COVID-stressed travel experience possible. Does anyone have airline recs? United would probably be my first choice, but Alaskan is about 70% the price for the flight weā€™re looking at. Any convincing reason not to take the latter?

Iā€™m going to Honolulu in late December and got the co-travelers to agree to do some ā€œgiving backā€ activities. I think one morning is clearing invasive plants and another is paying a ridiculous amount to plant an indigenous tree. Probably all a gift for latte liberal SJWs, but Iā€™ll tell myself Iā€™m being a good visitor

1 Like

Alaska has a mandate now I think? I just flew them to Hawaii and they were fine, all things considered.

1 Like

I just had an interesting thing happen.

I bought a one-way ticket from Puerto Vallarta to LA for Jan. 5th with miles on Alaska. Then yesterday I changed it to the 3rd with no fee. Then today I changed it back to the 5th, again with no fee, and got 10,000 miles back.

I guess my original flight got cheaper in the interim. Not sure if thereā€™s any practical way to play this scenario in the future. But Iā€™ll take it.

I know people like to hate on Spirit, but Iā€™ve been doing some poker trips lately, just packing a small backpack, and these prices are insane. Iā€™m flying Chicago to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Vegas for $40 or 50 dollars one way.

Yeah, thatā€™s the kind of travel thatā€™s perfect for Spirit. Youā€™re not too mad if the flight is canceled, you donā€™t have family with you, and you donā€™t have any luggage (and maybe short legs?). I wonā€™t subject my family to their nonsense, but I would do something like this.

Visiting the Portland area for work next week. Any suggestions on good places for solo lunch/dinner/breakfast?

@MrWookie youre up that way, right?

I am, sadly I know very little, having never lived here without covid.

I used to stop here pretty regularly when I was going through Portland for work. I recommend it:

Also, I donā€™t know anything about this place but it looks intriguing and Iā€™ll go the next time Iā€™m in Portland:

when I lived in honolulu I was hanging out on the big island one time with locals and they took us to recent lava and we did this but with burgers:

it didnā€™t feel dangerous but Iā€™m sure we were being idiots, a theory bolstered by how an hour later we didnā€™t get back before the sun set so there were like eight of us with one junky headlamp trying to walk back in the dark, man there is nothing so lightless as a black lava field at night I just remember how dumb I felt knowing I was going to break my ankle wearing sandals, honestly if someone showed me a picture of that night I think my main reaction would be relief if I saw I wasnā€™t also wearing socks

4 Likes

On a group hike to the top of Pacaya volcano in Guatemala, they gave us marshmallows to roast in one of the vents. When I saw how long it was taking I just ate my marshmallow raw. Proving youā€™re never too old to fail the marshmallow test.

7 Likes

went to see the big island lava flows like that sometime in mid-2000s. i think there was a bigger eruption at the top, but by the ocean it was just miles long field of slow moving viscous lava. you could hike for like 6 miles, and be that close to it for probably the last mile, but never feel any danger unless you tried to step on it or something. we went at dusk btw, so all the rocks were perfectly visible. it probably would be more dangerous and less impressive in broad daylight.

eta: we did not bring hot dogs or marshmallows. :ā€™(

1 Like

Are they still doing this at Pacaya?

I did it in 2008 but more recent photos only show people looking at lava at a distance.

I did the Pacaya hike and roasted marshmallows too. Amazingly dangerous thing, standing on porous rocks and watching lava flowing through the cracks beneath you. I rank it among the stupider, riskier things Iā€™ve done, and Iā€™ve done a lot of stupid risky shit in my life. Itā€™s also one of the coolest things Iā€™ve ever done, and I like to think Iā€™ve done a lot of cool shit in my life too.

It would be a shame if you canā€™t do it anymore, but itā€™s probably for the best. One false step and youā€™d have a roasted gringo.

1 Like

I did it in 2018, I donā€™t remember seeing any flowing lava. It has erupted since then so maybe no hikes for now.

I wish I had done the 2-day Acatenango hike where you look down on the erupting Fuego volcano at night. But my foot was fucked up and I was afraid Iā€™d be in a ton of pain on the second day.

I wrote some stuff from precovid trips here

Thanks all. Ill choose a few of these and let ya know how it is

Heading to Asheville tomorrow for 4 days. Anyone ever been? Mostly eating, drinking, and hiking.

Wait. Sierra Nevada is in Asheville and not near the SIerra Nevada mountains?

Man, Iā€™ll be super pissed if I find out that Fosterā€™s isnā€™t actually brewed in Australia.

1 Like