Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

this is a really big problem right now as airlines are changing their schedules pretty much every week.

if this happens to you, you can get a partial refund (they do charge an equipment premium in many cases) and definitely get a ton of miles thrown at you to shut you up

Has anyone used Turo?

I have in Alaska this past summer and had a very good experience. I paid extra for the airport drop-off and it was still hundreds less expensive than a standard rental. Ended up driving a 9 year old Mercedes that was pristine too. Iā€™m definitely looking into it the next time I need a rental.

1 Like

Just got back from two weeks in Europe and wish I was still there. Any here have an idea on how difficult it is to immigrate to the Netherlands or Belgium from the US?

Just, uh, get a job with NATO. EZPZ

Put in 5 years in Portugal first, then go wherever you want.

Yah, there are options in Europe depending on your situation. Maybe not specifically in Belgium or Holland (although the Dutch/USA Friendship Treaty might be an option). Basically, youā€™d need either a decent chunk in savings (30k+ USD), a consistent source of passive income ($1500+/month), or a remote job where you earn $2500+/month. But I think itā€™s probably easier than most would think.

@MichaelDavis Michael and I have discussed all the options an unhealthy amount of time. :smiley:

3 Likes

Invest 100K in Malta

Thanks for that! Looks like you just need to get a recent Masters degree from a top 200 world-wide program to apply for a year-long visa in the Netherlands to look for work.

UF has several options for that and I can get free tuition there through work. Going to have to look into this more.

1 Like

Itā€™ll cost a lot more than that, plus you need to think about what temperatures may be like there in the future.

Oh wow yeah citizenship by investment is way more than that.

Off to Hawaiā€™i, the big island tomorrow for work, based in Hilo for a few days. Obvious #1 priority is the active volcano when not working. Any other recs for food or low key things to do that you can sneak in during an afternoon?

3 Likes

mr edā€™s bakery (a bit out of the way). thereā€™s a cheese farm and petting zoo thatā€™s on the way there.

suisan fish market.

the japanese garden is nice. Hawaiā€˜i Tropical Bioreserve & Garden as well.

if itā€™s a moonless night, mauna kea visitor center has a bunch of students with telescopes and laser pointers.

also the lava flow created a new black sand beach, and a few heated pools. well worth a visit. F544+HP Pāhoa, Hawaii

1 Like

Suisan sounds awesome and very convenient, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™d have any opportunity to do anything with anything Iā€™d buy there. Might stop by anyway.

Lava flow beach sounds pretty sweet. Iā€™ll have to see about checking that out. Astronomy stuff sounds pretty cool, too, but Iā€™m seeing a lot of rain in the forecast. Guess weā€™ll see? Cool idea, for sure.

Oh, Japanese Garden is super convenient. Hopefully the weather cooperates for at least a short walk.

suisan have very good selections of poke to go. i didnā€™t actually buy fish there.

Oh, well thatā€™s awesome then. Totally smashing that. But geez, weather looks worse than I even thought. Rain like all day every day.

i dunno, we went in december and rain was daily. but i still enjoyed it, although my cotravelers were a bit older and thought it was dreadful. but having come from pnw temps and rain, it was totally fine as long as itā€™s not a storm or anything. even snorkeled at Keaukaha Beach park

1 Like

Well, itā€™s well out of the way, but I do have time in the evenings. Guess weā€™ll see.

almost forgot, itā€™s worth going and spending $20 tasting all the different fruit at Hilo Farmerā€™s Market. looks like it is every day, although thereā€™s more vendors on days when a cruise ship is supposed to come in.

1 Like

We got motherfucking lava coming out of a motherfucking volcano!

A little lava, from a very safe distance, but a bigger eruption you donā€™t get to see unless you really donā€™t want to see it.

17 Likes