Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Silly foreigner, unable to see beyond your engrained austerity.

There is only one relevant pressure setting in a shower: Maximum Pressure. Therefore there is no need to adjust the pressure.

1 Like

commando

4 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™d put Yosemite on my highest tier of fairy tale places, but I was there a few hours ago and it is pretty awesome

8 Likes

I have Chase Sapphire. But in some places the vendors only take cash.

In Switzerland? I found no such place in my week there.

Do you desire any pressure other than the maximum possible from a hotel shower head?

Well I originally got the 100E in Innsbruck, where a lot of vendors said cash only. So I was trying to unload it in Switzerland.

I really donā€™t think the pressure typically delivered by those showers is maximum. If it is, Iā€™ll shift my criticism to shitty water pressure.

Itā€™s the maximum they are capable of. I agree with your new criticism though. Shitty hotel shower pressure is ubiquitous.

However, I will say that I have never really required a separate pressure control. Every single time I have one (including at home), I just turn it up to the max every time.

I usually carry pliers and have removed a few flow restrictors from hotel shower heads in my time. Makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Well, my streak of flawless airbnb reviews has come to an end with my stay in Poland.

Whatā€™s crazy is that it isnā€™t some ultra-aggressive hit piece. Itā€™s a passive-aggressive one-liner that makes no accusations and merely states that a ā€œdifferent [superuberbob] arrived than the one I read about in reviewsā€. So am I a serial killer? Or did I leave the toilet seat up once? Future hosts will have no idea and so theyā€™ll assume the worst.

Best move was to respond to the public review with a kill them with kindness approach by complementing their hosting, thanking them for hosting me but to also point out that no specific complaints were made while I was there for me to address. That should blunt any influence the negative review could have in the eyes of most people.

The whole thing is quite small since I only use AirBnB a few times a year but also infuriating since I did nothing to deserve this.

That would drive me insane. Iā€™d go the route you did and express confusion over what I did wrong and the wish theyā€™d have told me so I could have corrected it.

Even the most highly-rated Airbnbs have one or two reviews that complain about nonsense, Iā€™m sure the same is true about guests.

Iā€™d rather the host have the balls to say exactly what the problems were so that there was something to contest. But of course, that would require her to put up evidence when I did so which she clearly did not have as the review was submitted 12 days after I left.

Reviews like those are smarmy, sleazy things people do to try and fuck people over for no reason. I mean my positive comments are sincere. She really was a great host and communicating with her was enjoyable despite the language barrier (hooray Google Translate). So, to get a negative review like this drives me nuts.

I mean I guess the only possibility that could rationalize this is that she confused me with another guest given the long delay between my departure and review. She may literally think that I was a different person. Not sure if that can happen from the hostā€™s side of things.

My house has a basement apartment and a tiny attic apartment that we AirBnB, and yes that is the case. One person knocked the towel rack off the wall and gave a 4 star as a result lol.

But there are also many people who make minor complaints that are very legitimate (ran out of hand soap, electronic lock jammed and we had to come and fix it) who give 5 stars nonetheless, which compensates for it. I think the way to analyze AirBnB ratings is to consider 5.0 a 100% perfect and 4.0 a 0% score. AirBnB will kick you off the platform if you fall below 4.3 supposedly. The whole thing is kind of a circus.

If you read the Airbnb subreddits, youā€™d never get involved in it to begin with.

Honestly, it takes a lot to warrant writing a public negative review. I mean guests have the opportunity to leave private message for feedback. Iā€™ve stayed at places that were kinda shitty, gave 5 star reviews, and then sent a friendly private message with a mix of positive and negative feedback. So long as I think the host is trying, Iā€™m not leaving a negative review.

Iā€™m just wondering wtf I did to warrant a bad review. Guess the host could still message me through Airbnb but I doubt Iā€™ll hear anything. I think my message blunted any negative impact the hostā€™s comment could have.

1 Like

In my experience hosts never review me until I review them. So of course Iā€™ll never leave a negative review (which I almost never would do anyway) for fear of them giving me a negative review and getting me black-balled for future rentals.

Oh but I guess they canā€™t see my review until they do theirs? Can they go back and edit theirs?

I would contact the host and try to find out. Maybe it was just some confusion like you said.

I am around 150 stays, so I have a pretty good sample size running. Itā€™s much easier to AirBnB small apartments than like a full house where a giant family will stay for a week or whatever.

I almost never, ever negatively review a guest. I would rather say nothing at all. Mostly itā€™s just dumb stuff that you forget about in a week.

Yeah, they canā€™t see your review until they review you too. I think you can edit a review, but generally only to make it better (like if they resolved an issue you pointed out in the review after the fact, or you want to delete a bad review, whatever).

For superuberbobā€™s situation, the downside of getting a bad review is most hosts who know wtf theyā€™re doing have instant book turned on for good track record guests only. That is how mine is set. You can still request to book, but you canā€™t do instant book. Therefore, when someone requests to book, I look their reviews up and down and make a judgement (almost always Iā€™ll say yes, but Iā€™ll just communicate a bit more with them to make sure they know not to try any shit).

But thereā€™s another thing: itā€™s not about 4 star or 5 star, itā€™s about another question hosts get at the end of a review: ā€œwould you recommend xyz to other hosts?ā€ or something like that. Hitting no on that means you lose instant book for tons of properties.

@superuberbob, if you want, I can DM you a link to my place so you can see if itā€™s available for instant book or not.

I would also respond to the bad review. Something like ā€œHi, I recently stayed at your apartment in Poland for a couple nights and feel like there might be some confusion, based on your review. From my side, everything was problem-free and there was never any communication from either of us about any issue. Could you perhaps be confusing me for another guest?ā€ Hosts just want to see that youā€™re a level-headed sounding, reasonable person, and not combative at all.

I already responded to the review. If there was actual confusion, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get an apology from her.

I had 45 reviews all of which were glowing followed by 1 bad recent review. Doubt it will do much to me but I guess send a DM with your ad.

Honestly, Airbnb has started to lose its value as of late. Theyā€™re becoming more expensive due to taxes and small guesthouses are becoming competitive with them in some countries as a result.