Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

How many airports in developing countries have you been to?

A fair number! Like at least a dozen “dudes with AK-47s at baggage claim” situations.

Those don’t really bother me. Frankfurt has miles and miles of walking, no food or lounges and on top of that endless bus rides after you “board” from the gate. Oh, and truly awful customs / baggage. Never again

Fair enough. I guess I’m more bothered by the prospect of getting robbed and/or in the middle of some serious violence. Even in terrible airports those risks are quite low, but I’d take a ton of inconvenience to lower them even further.

You’re worried about this at international airports?!

I think you’re seriously underestimating how safe airports are.

Not worried, exactly. Like I said the risk is quite low. And I still make the trips without thinking twice. Theft probably a greater risk. For example, a buddy got his bag stolen in Dar es Salaam, but I suppose it was technically right outside the airport bldg.

Well yeah, that’s outside the airport. But inside airports are some the safest places you could possibly be. And transiting through Dar Es Salaam and visiting Tanzania are like pretty huge differences!

Probably technically on airport property. I’d agree that once you get through security then things are quite safe. I was commenting more on the totality of the airport experience rather than just transit.

Fair enough. You made me think of posts on Reddit every once in a while where people are transiting through Kenya or something and they get all paranoid even though it’s completely safe.

Wow Amsterdam is just unreal, can’t believe I waited so long to see it. Not that this is news to anyone. Crowds don’t seem too bad yet in March, heard it’s brutal in the Summer.

Anyway, I have 3 days in The Hague and was wondering which nearby cities/towns I should add in. Will do 1, maybe 2 out of Rotterdam, Delft, Leiden, and Gouda. Any one that stands out or all they all pretty close?

I assume you’re going to see the Vermeer exhibit?

Are you more interested in a cosmopolitan city, ceramics, a cool science museum including one of the first microscopes, or cheese?

Didn’t really get to sight see much but as a microbiologist, Delft felt like a pilgrimage. Also wife and mother-in-law enjoyed the Delft-ware items I brought back. Also the new church is from like 1400.

I work with a Dutch guy that has a ticket for the skating deal should the loop freeze over for the first time in 25+ years. He has something like 48 hours notice to make it from home (San Diego) should the call come. Obviously I don’t think it will be a surprise if it’s going to happen.

Tomorrow most likely

I tend to highly favor walking around and taking in the architecture so prob cosmo city.

1 Like

Homage to Riverman. Apparently Delta has black lights now.

3 Likes

Black lights? Wow you managed to coat those shoes very evenly. Nice job.

1 Like

Black lights on a plane? Jesus, wouldn’t want to see what stains they reveal!

Schiphol Airport Amsterdam is definitely no shithole. Pretty well organized, good selection of shops, bathroom cleaner than my bedroom, and pretty well located between a couple primary cities.

Back to Tbilisi for a couple weeks to get married (just a basic civil ceremony for now bc we need to be married for a future Thai visa application), honeymoon in the Caucusus Mountains, then a 3 month Poland deep dive, followed by 3 months Romania, a month in Turkey, then probably a very long stay in Bangkok, which we’ll use as a base to explore Asia.

Poland and Romania are 2 countries I’ve wanted to see for awhile. Poland bc i have a Polish surname and I’ve heard Krakow mentioned as a Euro hidden gem. We’re doing 1 month Krakow, 1 month Warsaw, then 3 weeks in like Wroclaw, Torun, Poznan.

Romania has always fascinated me for the picturesque small towns. We haven’t nailed down a schedule there yet, but likely 1 month Bucharest, 1 month Brasov or Sibiu, then a couple weeks spread among Cluj, Sighisoara, Alba Iulia, etc

10 Likes

Congrats on getting married!

Anyone have Mauritius recs? Going there in a few days on honeymoon.

1 Like

yeah it’s a great airport, it’s a little sprawly but it’s relatively easy to connect, it’s very easy as an origin/destination with easy train service right to the city center, A++++

Gonna agree. Only beef is them dimming and brightening the lights randomly at night to keep people from sleeping at the airports. Just a scumbag move by them. Only had to sleep there once though.