Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

We made a decision and we’re going to Munich. Was further down my list, but #1 on my wife’s. I’m not complaining; I’ve never been to Germany and we’ve gone to my first choices other times.

So I’ve anyone has any Bavarian suggestions outside the obvious stuff like a day trip to Neuschwanstein, I’d love to hear them.

The train literally drops you off directly under the terminal, A+ airport

There is the increasingly frustrated womens voice of someone is late for their flight. “You must proceed immediately to your gate. If you are not the plane your bags will be removed.”

1 Like

Miss one little word

1 Like

The high school I teach at has its Spring Trip tomorrow at Shanghai Disneyland

Students have informed me there is no Hall of Presidents. Fucking bullshit.

Maybe there’s a Hall of Paramount Leaders.

2 Likes

I am scheduled to fly somewhere warm for vacation in a couple of weeks. I haven’t flown since before the pandemic and the thought of sitting that close to another person for 4 hrs is making me anxious. What is the consensus on masking on planes? Level 3 Procedural Mask or full N95? I’m guessing most people aren’t masking on planes.

Sitting in an airport as I write this and I also flew last weekend. Nobody is masking.

Very minimal masking in airports and on planes now, more than pre covid times but probably no more than 5-10%.

I sat through a 6-hr CE workshop last week in a room with 200 people, and I was in the 10% of people wearing a mask.

If I was flying anywhere I’d likely put on a mask at the departure airport and keep it on until I was outside of the destination’s arrival terminal.

1 Like

Yah flew back from a warm vacation island yesterday and saw 2 people on the flight wearing a mask. I think we’re in the <1% of airport patrons in my anecdotal experience. This was east coast airports, so ymmv.

Edit: wore a mask in the terminal and through boarding on the way outbound (didn’t want to be sick on vacation ldo), no mask on the way back so I’m probably tee-minus 7 days to RIP city.

Went unmasked no covid

SEA-TAC airport - impressive!

Yeah, as long as you’re not stuck out at the N or S gates, it’s pretty easy to get around. Security and ground transportation can back up something fierce at peak travel times, unfortunately.

We flew in from Pullman so didn’t have to deal with any of that. We are at an N gate but the services here are still excellent.

Pullman airport is hilarious, one room. My kid has chosen WSU and I think we’ll mostly come in and out of Spokane.

Congrats. I’m sure it’s a relief to have that sorted out. Not sure how easy it is to get a flight direct from your neck of the woods to Spokane, but maybe? I ended up flying from the Bay through Sea-Tac to get to Spokane when I’ve headed out that way.

A couple questions for you seasoned travelers.

Despite seldom flying, I currently have American Airlines Platinum status. Listed benefits include:

1. Unlimited complimentary upgrades within North America
  2. OneWorld Sapphire Status which includes “Access to Business Class lounges”

Questions:

1. Are complimentary upgrades given automatically or do I have to ask for them?

2. Does access to business class lounges mean access to ANY OneWorld lounge? For example, I’m flying American for my upcoming trip, but can I also access the JAL lounge (which is way cooler)?

Direct from LAX to Spokane and back is available Friday through Monday, so that should mostly cover it.

Ah, nice. I would have been traveling midweek, so maybe there’s a similar availability in the Bay that wouldn’t have been relevant for me.