Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Yep. Saw it was canceled at 130PM (originally scheduled for 645). Went to Kayak and American had 2 flights out of Reagan leaving tonight for $250 a piece and just snap booked one.

Southwest and American have both been disasters post COVID. Delta seems to be the only actually good domestic airline at this point.

The details here are insane, they are canceling 2/3 of all flights!

Going back home to Omaha to visit then SIL is having her 40th in Vegas. Thought I’d work in 2 major cities I hadn’t even seen yet, London and Amsterdam. Will only be a couple days in Feb and Mar, but maybe I’ll get lucky and at least it won’t be raining. Also doing Antalya and Izmir in Turkey for 5 days, pretty excited about those. Turkey seems like incredible value as a destination. Gonna see Ephesus, which looks awesome.

Booked a RT on United, London-ORD-OMA and LAS-ORD-Amsterdam. So far they’ve altered the itinerary 3 times, but each time it’s just tiny changes, like one of the flights departs 25 minutes later. Weird. Kinda worried one of the legs will get canceled at some point.

Small schedule changes a couple months out are pretty normal. Unlikely United cancels any of those routes 60-90 day out so I think you’re pretty safe there.

I think worst case they change how often they fly to OMA and LAS (also unlikely since the winter schedule is set already) and you are left with a shorter or longer connection.

Ephesus was awesome.

1 Like

Those tiny changes are pretty common when you buy a ticket well in advance. Happens to my American flight every year.

Oh yeah. Apparently they’re still dealing with hyperinflation so it probably didn’t get cheaper since last summer.

Also, schedule changes can work to your advantage if you’re trying to change flights/itinerary but don’t want to pay to change. The airline likely won’t accommodate if the change is <30 mins (unless it messes up a connection), but if my schedule gets changed more than an hour or 2, I usually don’t formally accept it. I just let it hang out there in case at some point I want to make a change.

1 Like

9 Likes

Air France ended up nuking my mid-Feb flight from Tbilisi to Paris and re-booked me for a flight 3 days later. That wasn’t gonna work as I’d already booked a train from Paris to London after just 2 days in Paris.

It ended up working to my advantage though as I found a cheap flight to Antalya from Tbilisi, in country flight Antalya-Izmir, then a cheap Izmir-Paris flight. Those 3 flights ended up costing roughly the same as the Tbilisi-Paris flight and the 5 extra days in Turkey are no big deal b/c my schedule is ultra-flexible being an online poker player with 0 obligations.

Yikes!

Looks like a nightmare and not only in LA. My neighbors here in Denver got their southwest flights to NY canceled yesterday and weren’t even notified. I have some friends stranded in San Diego as well, waiting to fly home to BWI.

Water main break at the Atlanta airport. Not good.

What the heck is wrong with Southwest?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SouthwestAirlines/comments/zw32yt/_/

Read this last night. Rings as true.

Idk anything about software or scheduling but seems like everything spiraled out of control from having a shitty system and too many initial cancellations from the weather last week.

https://twitter.com/justanother_ben/status/1607707495509929985?s=46&t=tBTET4bYMRGAKvTOcLrvng

https://twitter.com/kvanvalkenburg/status/1607802527306907648?s=46&t=Idz-Fou0vk-KFGBToL9HTQ

Can’t imagine the chaos at Southwest’s terminal in San Diego, the biggest shithole airport terminal I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s like 10 gates shrunk into the space of 4, every place to sit is taken, long security lines, the only bar and restaurant is completely packed at all times. Flying to SFO from SAN is like taking a portal to another dimension. You take off from hell and land in a museum.

MOKUSHOKU, the ancient Japanese art of eating alone, in silence.

I do that all the time but the rest of the world calls it sadness, not an art form.

5 Likes

I’ve had hundreds of sit-down meals alone. Years and years of traveling for work, coupled hatred of takeout meals in hotels, will do that to you.

I find nothing weird or stigmatizing about it. An important thing to realize is nobody is watching you; nobody cares. And servers love having a one-top that orders a decent amount of stuff (I always do) and is very relaxed about the proceeding.

I love eating alone and do it all the time. I take 2-3 solo trips to Vegas every year and eat at nice restaurants. It’s great.

3 Likes