Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Funny flight situation today, I was leaving Japan from Fukuoka to Busan and the security line was just out of control, wrapped around the whole airport. There was literally no way I was going to make my flight. After a while I got out of line and went back to the check in counter and told them I’d have to book a new flight, they were very confused at the counter and told me to go back in line because people will find me. Umm ok. So I went back in the massive line, thinking I’d be back at the counter very soon because I was for sure missing this flight.

Then some lady with a Busan sign came around and people emerged out of the line and we joined and made a pack that got led to our own separate security gate and were through in a couple of minutes. Kinda neat! 100% unexpected based on my airport experiences. Although I wish I knew about this arrangement beforehand because in my whole Japan trip this was definitely the most stressful day!

5 Likes

This seems like kind of a big hurdle. But I’m not a skibro, so maybe it is not as uncommon as I think.

You can fly into Aspen if you’re feeling baller. But for kids that young I’d go with a smaller resort. My regional bias says somewhere in Vermont. There are a couple places close enough to Burlington for an Uber if there aren’t shuttles.

Japan trip report forthcoming?

Never seen a shuttle service specifically for that purpose, but can’t say I’ve ever looked either.

It’s been a few years so I can’t make any specific recs, but Stowe is beautiful and fun and I remember it mostly bc of how incredibly expensive it was. I drove up from NYC and spent 2 nights with a couple of kids over a weekend who each took lessons and skied both days (I didn’t ski at all) and it cost me more than a 5 night trip to Cartagena a few months prior, including the airfare.

edit: it could have be 3 nights in Stowe over a long weekend.

I’ve wanted to go back too but couldn’t ever bring myself to justify the cost with the Poconos being so close and an all-around more reasonable option, so you might give eastern PA some consideration. And if you flew into Newark, I doubt it’s even 80 miles from the airport to the nearest slope.

Not a skier and don’t have kids, so maybe not the best person to ask, but feel like Smugglers Notch and Sugarbush are pretty popular with the locals who do. Jay Peak too, but that’s a bit further away.

I’m sure Stowe would be great, but as mentioned, it definitely has a reputation of being expensive as fuck.

Would be happy to meet up with you (or anyone else) that comes to Vermont.

It’s been decades, but as a not-very-serious skier I used to be pretty content at Bolton Valley. Low key, family friendly spot. Stowe and Smugglers would also be good options.

Yes indeed! But I’m doing a whirlwind South Korea trip for 7-8 days, so I probably won’t have time until I get to the Philippines…

1 Like

Current travel advice for today is: Do not fly Frontier.

I’m about to drive 200 some miles through the windy subzero lands of Central and west MN :harold:

5 Likes

A god.

I could have really used this a couple days ago.

Respek

The family is looking to go to Italy this summer. 3 adult couples. Any recs for a tour group. 10 days 3 cities with a pretty structured deal.

We are just starting the planning now.

Our flight to Vegas just got cancelled :( And it looks like we won’t be able to get a flight for at least a couple of days so that’s that fucked then.

Have 8 tickets to Love Beatles thing on the 27th 7:00 if anyone is interested in purchasing them

I hope nobody took my advice and booked Southwest!

3 Likes

Yeah Southwest is in bad shape today. Southwest flight from BWI to Chicago got canceled today. Thankfully got an American flight out of Reagan that is taking off now.

Guy in front of me was swearing at the attendants for God knows what reason as he was getting into his window seat and got removed from the flight. He stood up and stormed off willingly but legit no reason why he was that mad.

How did you swing that? Southwest never puts you on another airline. Did you just arrange it yourself and get the refund from SW?