Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Anyone spent time near Negril, Jamaica?

This is juuuuiiiicccccyyy!

Anyone been to northern Spain?

you should make some babies or i should block you. current situation is unhealthy

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to enjoy the DINK life while I can man!

1 Like

First wedding anniversary - flew into Bilbao and drove to San SebastiƔn for a week. It is incredible, you will love it.

Every pinxto restaurant has their own speciality and the city has literally hundreds of them to wander in to. Everything is walkable. Itā€™s similar to the Old Port in Portland, just way more dense and much bigger.

We drove up to Biarritz and Bayonne in southern France, spent a couple days there. Went East of SS for a couple sought-out/specific meals.

If you book travel, Iā€™ll give you some more specific recs for food.

SS and Tokyo are the 2 cities I cannot wait to get back to.

2 Likes

Going to research tonight and make a decision. Any idea on a reasonable budget per day? Everyone says itā€™s expensive but hotel rooms seemed fairly reasonable.

Northern-ish, but not that far north.

Did Segovia, Avila, and Burgos in 2018. Loved it.

Have so many trips in Spain I want to do: Basque region, Galicia, Valencia/Catalonia, Andalucia, Madridā€¦

1 Like

Is Spain easy to get around if I know limited to 0 Spanish?

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve found a place yet in the world that wasnā€™t easy to get around knowing only English. (Spain included a couple of times).

Especially in a world with smartphones and google translate.

Yes.

Look for Madrid and Barcelona and such, flights are cheap right now, you might get into Spain for half of that.

Use Google flights explore Europe.

Also, Michael is right. Cursory look at Google Flights shows this:

1 Like

We rented a condo for the weekā€¦

In my experience, the gesture of attempting to speak Spanish (any language) goes a long way. Most in the hospitality industry can get through your ordering/paying of food and drink in English, but attempting to do so, in Spanish in this case, is appreciated. I was super self conscious, but I tried, and it was appreciated.

My general rule is to learn how to say ā€œIā€™m so sorry, I canā€™t speak X, can you speak English?ā€ And it has been almost universally met with ā€œlol yes, stupid Americanā€ā€¦just swallow some humility and try.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the same price. I had it set for 2 people.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. Thought this was an alternate idea for your ā€œgive my wife time with my mother-in-lawā€ plan.

I would probably no longer have a wife if did that.

Went to Bilbao, Vittoria-Gasteiz, and San Sebastian in 2016. That year, San Sebastian was the European City of Culture. Itā€™s a very different experience from Andalucia but definitely worthwhile.

Speaking Spanish will make your trip easier. Northern Spain tends to be on the back burner when it comes to travel from America. People are more likely to hit up Barcelona or Madrid. My Spanish isnā€™t great but you just need to be coherent, not fluent. I knew enough Spanish to yell at a tour guide for sending my family on the wrong bus and then trying to blame us for it (Barcelona, not Basque Country). Got our money back.

1 Like

My favorite is:

Me: Iā€™m sorry - do you speak English?

Them: [somewhat shyly] A little bitā€¦

Them: [proceeds to have a conversation in fluent english]

3 Likes

I just booked it for March during my wifeā€™s spring break. October was too soon. Iā€™d be stressed trying to plan and save for it. Round trip tickets for 2 for $1150 is such an awesome deal.

Edit: plus I can cram in some basic Spanish!

5 Likes