Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Yeah that happens quite a bit. The person is comparing themselves to other locals and tends to think they’re inferior when they clearly aren’t.

That’s why speaking the local language helps. If you’re willing to embarrass yourself by speaking their language, they’ll risk it by speaking yours. I’ve had people in multiple countries straight out say, “I only speak [native language] around tourists but I’ll speak English to them if they try to speak [native language].”

1 Like

Yeah, I get why they say “a little bit” but it invariably happens all over the world with pretty much fluent speakers. I wasn’t passing judgement on the local - I find it amusing and embarrassing (for myself) as an American. Most then do seem to genuinely appreciate being told their English is excellent.

I’ve been enough places where I have no chance of speaking the local language (SE Asia, Russia, Germany, etc) where I just start with asking if they know English, and never really had an issue. The “I won’t speak English unless they try my language” type seems to be the minority, especially in anything resembling a touristy area.

The key (for me at least) is to undersell how cool the place is if I’m looking to go on a solo trip.

Probably wouldn’t work for the Basque region, but I have gone to Bucharest and Vilnius/Riga this way.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from but there are numerous levels of degen well beyond what our bro tilted partakes in. I don’t think he’s near unhealthy yet. Still, fuck that guy. :grinning:

Edit: Just realized you meant unhealthy for you. Yeah, I’m with you on that.

1 Like

What’s your opinion on Bucharest? Have you been anywhere else on Romania?

How much of a detriment is not having a driver’s license to travelling around Romania?

Bucharest was different than most places I’ve been to. Really felt the Eastern Europe/Soviet influence, much more so than the Baltic states. You just went to Bulgaria, right? I’d imagine it’s similar.

Can’t answer the car question. My sister and I just flew in and stayed at a hotel. We did go to Brasov (which was lovely, especially with snow), but had a driver.

I found Brasov and Transylvania quite a bit better than Bucharest. Bucharest is nice, but more culturally interesting than beautiful. I rented a car for a day in Brasov but it was hardly necessary. You’ll need to take a tour to see a bunch of the little towns and castle though.

I only spent about 5 days in Romania, but there’s still a bunch on the list there. Great country.

Looks like an EU travel ban will be back in place effective Monday, but possibly up to each country if they want to enforce it.

EU reimposing travel ban on USAians

It is. The commission merely recommends things

1 Like

And idea how many countries would follow thru on the ban?

No.

@Tilted

re San Sebastián

Restaurant Elkano this place is a whole fish seafood spot just outside of SS proper. Memory says it’s a 20 min drive from downtown SS. The owner is named Aitor and he broke down this entire massive whole grilled fish tableside and then spoon fed me the bone marrow lmao.

Casa Julian is basically the beef version of Elkano. Absolutely GOAT meal experience. It’s a guy named Julian that grills local beef over fire - the grill is in the dining room and he kinda walks around and checks on the guests while cooking. It’s so simple and unassuming but maybe the best beef I’ve ever had. You feel like you’re sitting in his dining room at home. He’s got photos on the wall of Ferran Adria and Bourdain having meals there.

You’ll have your hands full crushing pinxtos and txakoli in downtown San Sebastián but I hope you can get to either or both of these 2 restaurants.

I’m going to see if I can pull some photos from my trip.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m sold. :slight_smile: Sounds awesome!

Elkano - grill is outside by the front door, you walk by it on the way in to the dining room.

Casa Julian, this grill is smaller than I remember, but that’s what he cooks on. That hearth is IN the dining room!

5 Likes

Unbelievable!

What time of the year did you go?

Mid August. It was unknowingly during Semana Grande which is a big weeklong festival with fireworks, parades, and partying. Probably contributed to our euphoria of being in the city.

1 Like

From their website gallery. Fuuuuuck!

2 Likes

Road tripping with some friends to Asheville in October. Anyone recommendations on hikes or cool nature shit? I’ve got the breweries down

Replying to your earlier post we went to Catalonia for 1.5 weeks about 3 years ago. Rented a car and stayed at a bunch of seaside towns. Great food, great people, you can definitely get around with English only + smartphone.

Plus it’s dirt cheap and beautiful.

1 Like