Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Yeah I always stress out over flying especially during COVID but it never ends up being bad.

Just flew back home from Bulgaria and all I needed to do was show my vaccine certificate on my mobile phone when checking in and then when transferring from non-Schengen to Schengen at Munich Airport (Bulgaria is non-Schengen despite being in EU). They didn’t even bother collecting the passenger locator form I had to fill out in Prague. Just looked at my passport through a glass window and off I went.

Honestly, it’s a lot easier now. It was really chaotic at the beginning of 2021.

1 Like

When I flew home from San Cris in Chiapas there were a bunch of pharmacies offering the rapid tests, it literally took me 10 minutes, so so easy

I have a flight booked on Wednesday on Spirit. This flight has been cancelled Wednesday through Saturday so far this week. What are the chances it will fly as scheduled?

How would you handle setting up a backup plan? I chose Spirit because of a preference for a direct flight at a reasonable hour due to an elderly traveler, so I would like to preserve the possibility of flying them if they figure things out.

the only backup plan you can possibly make is a ticket on another airline. If they’re still offering refunds, go ahead and book it. If it’s just change fees waived, I’d be more wary unless you’ll definitely fly that airline again in the next year.

they’ve been cancelling ~half their schedule the last few days, seems almost inconceivable that they’d not have this under control by wednesday, but idk.

maybe check flightaware.com and see if your particular route has been cancelled repeatedly.

Spirit is total dog shit and not to be trusted even in good times.

6 Likes

What I learned here is that the expert play would be to book Spirit through AMEX travel, although that seems like an unlikely combination.

I will never go near Spirit unless there is literally no other choice.

4 Likes

There are $350 round trip tickets to Hawaii right now. Never been but that seems really juicy. Anyone have an island recommendation or is it better to do a couple for a week trip. Not sure if I’m booking it but it’s tempting.

The situation there seems kind of messed up though. Water shortages and covid spikes. Probably unethical to go there right now.

Did Kauai/Maui over 10 days a few years ago. Loved it, and we were more than happy to not go to Honolulu - seems too built up and congested, but maybe not too bad right now if tourism is down.

Regarding ethics, I suppose there are arguments against, but there’s also a huge number of people there whose livelihoods depend on tourism, so dollars spent there can absolutely be a good thing.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there are good flight deals to all sorts of places the next few months as leisure travel pulls back with schools in session, and lack of business travel to pick up the slack and fill seats.

The state is asking people not to come.

came back from kauai 4 wks ago. island is amazing. 98% mask compliance. what water shortages? they have the most rainfall of almost anywhere in the world.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/drought/

Maui is in rough shape. Lawn watering ban is in effect.

+1 to Kauai. Get the travel guides with the locations of all the secret beaches and lava pools. Don’t ask the gas station attendant to use the bathroom in the little town before Waimea Canyon.

My friends once moved to Kauai and lived on the beach in tents for a few days until some Samoans stole all their shit and they had to have their parents buy them tickets home lol.

1 Like

Reverse colonialism.

2 Likes

it’s like spirit island where the island is winning

That is pretty funny.