Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

this is absolutely wrong, it is much, much easier/faster to get into midtown from JFK or EWR given airtrain/PATH/LIRR. It’s a pain in the ass, sure, changing trains two times sucks but it’s a TON better than LGA->bus->(various nightmares)->midtown

Obviously Queens, but for anything mid/upper Manhattan, it is far superior to the other options, IMO.

Within NYC - Correct

Outside America, I’m constantly clarifying that I’m talking about the city and then find myself furthering clarifying that I’m not talking about Manhattan.

There are enough variables - Midtown East or West, Upper East or West, further uptown, Uber vs. Public Transit - such that it’s hard to make a definitive statement. If you’re at 42nd/Lex, I’d argue taking the express to 125th and getting the bus is much easier than crossing town on the shuttle, switching for 1 stop to Penn, getting on the railroad, then switching to the Airtrain. Don’t believe I’ve ever had anything that qualifies as a “various nightmare” on the M60.

And by car, I don’t think it’s close most of the time if you’re 42nd and above. Looked a few minutes ago. LGA to midtown was 25 minutes. 50 minutes from JFK. Is it ever not 50+ minutes from JFK? Maybe a 3 am? Probably still some traffic on the Van Wyck.

giphy-1

LOL

5 Likes

I always find these LGA vs. JFK arguments pretty funny. I mean the airports don’t even serve the same cities so the distinction is functionally academic. I rarely fly from LGA for the simple reason that the planes don’t fly to any place I want to go. If LGA started running flights over 1000 miles I would use it every time. Hell I can almost walk there from the Bronx in the time it takes to get to JFK>

https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/california-travel-blogger-among-2-killed-in-mexicos-tulum/article_a273069f-c8f7-5223-a215-f4a0a9f72513.html?fbclid=IwAR0wfPQaPiSu4PEsBPmHO-bT8luWyMJJKgdREZPxXApDodkR6eqb4hjGyOc

The killings threatened Tulum’s reputation as a low-key carefree beach town without the crowding and problems of Cancun.

After the shooting, U.S. tourist James Graham said he had come to Tulum with the idea of possibly buying a property there to rent out on AirBnB. “Right now, we are not so sure we’re going to buy anything here,” Graham said.

“I think that what was surprising, is we figured that this type of crime wouldn’t necessarily be where the main tourist areas are, just because it’s such a big part of the economy,” Graham said. “You would think that you would be very careful to make sure that you know the tourists feel very safe coming here.”

Oh just go straight to hell James Graham. You are part of the reason Tulum is so fucked. Americans buying up all the property, jacking up the prices of everything, destroying the environment.

“Not only do they continue to build in the park, which is forbidden, but they build on sand dunes, which are there to stabilize the sand and prevent erosion,” adds Carlos Meade. “This affects the entire coastal ecosystem.”

With its cenotes, the famous natural sinkholes in the jungle, and underground water system, mangroves and dense jungle, the ecosystem of the Yucatan Peninsula is particularly fragile. But preserving it is made difficult by Tulum’s lack of infrastructure.

Walking south from the ruins, you can see the full sweep of Tulum in 2019. There is Papaya Playa, which on its Wellness Day brought in 22 different “healers” specializing in biomagnetism, reiki, color reading, deionization, numerology, and Wataflow. You pass Azulik, which rents one villa for $7,800 a night and recently hosted a “Vibrational Concert for World Peace.” If it’s the morning, Perlman’s Bikini Bootcampers could be running on the beach; if it’s the afternoon, Ak’iin might be throwing one of its daytime beach parties; and if it’s the early evening, a 20-something New Yorker at Coco Tulum might meet her friends for dinner only to realize she’s underdressed

2 Likes

I went back in 2015 and it already seemed like it was infected by tourists. I guess I was part of the problem, but we did stay in some lovely couples backyard and not the $4000 a night hotels. I can’t imagine what it’s like now.

Guys I need help.

Every vacation I take just pisses me off. I hate travel in the U.S. We have gone all over, and I never like it and literally every time wish I had stayed home. There are many reasons - the overpriced everything, the hassle, the annoyance of travel, but mostly I just hate being around other Americans.

Please help me plan an international trip my kids will like. They’re great kids, adventurous and open minded, and don’t complain.

how old?

Where have you been internationally, and of those (if any), what pissed you off and what did you like?

Costa Rica has a lot to offer. Spend some time in the cloud forest zip lining, go for night walks to see lots of critters. Then spend some time on the beach - there’s a great national park - Manuel Antonio, that’s also a beach. San Jose has some nice neighborhoods with a lot of restaurants and stuff - to stay one night before going to the airport or maybe longer.

Past You is going to have some words for Present You:

2 Likes

Also, I’ve kinda joked with MrsWookie that I tend to prioritize the 3 As in our international travel – Art, Architecture, and Alcohol – but stuff like natural wonders, wildlife, food, history, family heritage, wanting to hang with locals, or what have you are also good reasons to pick a place and what to do there. Any priorities of things you like to do or see?

Guatemala is beyond what most families’ (except missionaries) comfort zone. Costa Rica makes a ton more accessible. Then if you love Costa Rica maybe try Guatemala.

A lot of the volcano hikes in Guatemala have armed guards because people were getting robbed. There are poor neighborhoods high up on the slopes in the most dangerous places. So yeah - Costa Rica wins there.

Also Guatemala is weird. It’s really hard to do Antigua and Tikal in the same trip - unless you want fly across the country. Tikal is more easily combined with a trip to Belize.

I assume Guate has some decent beaches - but nothing like Costa Rica. I don’t care about beaches but a lot of people do. Lake Atitlan was fine but I didn’t feel the need to spend more than a day trip there.

Antigua though - possibly my favorite city on earth.

1 Like

I’m mostly just fucking around because I like you and the video you posted, but I also think it’s cool you gave me a serious and informative response.

I love the whole region. I’m always glad to contrast and compare and give advice.

1 Like

well i don’t know what type of vacation you are looking for, how many hours of flight you are willing to endure and the length and time of year.

Barcelona is a very easy urban destination with kids imo if you haven’t been. You can also spend a day at PortAventura if they get sick of the city attractions. If they are interested in Soccer in anyway going to a game in Camp Nou is like a bucket list level experience.