Trans Youth

You kind of undid your apology here buddy.

Who knew? I guess this kid isn’t best served by his father and trained medical professionals. Nope, need you coming in hot on the internet with unsubstantiated health claims.

But it’s for the kids.

So this Canada person won’t state their qualifications and won’t link their “sources?” That’s bad posting right there, especially in this context.

3 Likes

Username checks out!

1 Like

I change my mind all the time. The key is to talk to people who you disagree with who you actually respect. It’s crucial to accept that your own viewpoint isn’t the only correct one, and that you’re trying to understand what the other person is saying from their own viewpoint.

We’ve all got large blind spots because of our own experiences with things. Figuring those out and improving our thinking is very hard without encountering other also valid viewpoints.

None of this means that you gain anything from talking to idiots though. You’re looking for the smartest people who disagree with you that you can find.

2 Likes

That is such a sweet story.

I love that they discussed his decision to take puberty blockers.

Over the last five years, he has grown and matured, and he is more sophisticated now when he talks about what it means to him to be transgender. And since he has reached the early stages of puberty, Jacob has opted to take a puberty blocker. This is a completely reversible step endorsed by the medical community. It is also the very kind of treatment that some state lawmakers are looking to stop.

I enjoyed Janet Mock’s discussion to take them in her memoir Redefining Realness. I’m on board with delaying puberty until the kid is ready to decide whether they want to experience it. It’s totally reversible. Stop taking the blockers, puberty resumes as it would have, so it buys the individual a lot of time.

My kid is having top surgery tomorrow. This has been their goal for quite a long time, but it’s still emotional. When we met the surgeon we were told that we’d submit to insurance, it would get rejected, and after a long back-and-forth of appeals/rejections we would eventually get approved and it would take like six months. Well, we submitted to insurance and within a week they were like “Yah no probs”. So, big surprise that left me with less time to emotionally prepare than I thought I was going to have. But the kid is beyond excited (and nervous, obviously). And I know it’s right.

31 Likes

Wow. Sounds great and if I were a praying man I’d be praying for an easy surgery and quick recovery.

4 Likes

Thank you friends.

it’s also the route with the highest floor, by a country mile, in terms of negative outcomes

Much of my/our approach has been guided by the simple principle of “love your child”, but I do agree that the logical approach reaches the same conclusion. So, so, so many trans youth that are not supported have the worst possible outcomes.

8 Likes

Surgery went great, we were able to come back home last night. My kid and I got to view their chest for the first time together and even in their post-surgery state they were elated. It feels like when they were born - we’re off on a brand new adventure together. Also, I have to do lots of gross/intimate stuff that I would never be able to do for anyone other than my child. Good news, they’re still a teenager and very easily slipped back into being a jerk when Dad doesn’t do everything 100% the way they want it done :slight_smile:

17 Likes

My kid is heading to sleepaway camp for a few weeks starting Thursday. All the cabins are gendered, so they’ll be in a cabin with boys. I have no idea how well they “pass” in public, but obviously their pronouns will draw some attention. I’m definitely worried about this experience going sideways, but learning to deal with people outside our bubble has to start to happen sometime.

10 Likes

Seems really stressful for a parent, best wishes.

Emailed the camp nurse to make sure they know my kid will need to inject testosterone while at camp, and got a very kind response almost immediately. Made me well up. Turns out maybe I have some emotions attached to this lol.

11 Likes

Good luck. Nurse sounds like a good ally in case things do go sideways.

Is there an official supplier of “Protect Trans Kids” shirts, or at least somewhere selling them that certainly donates the proceeds appropriately? Like is this legitimate?

Google search is so “enshittified” now, it’s just endless crap

1 Like

Hmmmm I would not trust companies.

I would go directly to content creators and their affiliates.

Here’s the Nebula merch store for Philosophy Tube/Abigail Thorn :pray::transgender_flag:

Don’t see a Protect Trans Kids shirt, but the No TERFS sticker and other shirts have my eye :eyes:

1 Like

I had to google TERF to see what the acronym was and found this article. My stepmom would self identify as a WoLF and I hate her for that.

1 Like

when we used to debate in the hs politics classes i taught, i’d always say that i don’t have an opinion on abortion. kids would correctly point out that that made me pro-choice. then we’d have a convo about freedoms and how sometimes freedom means somebody else gets to do something that you personally don’t like.

it’s sorta similar for me with transgender people. like abortion, it doesn’t really affect me, but i’m always going to support someone’s freedom to make choices. what surgery someone else’s child has IS NONE OF YOUR/MY/THE GOVERNMENT’S BUSINESS. it’s literally the same thing as me dating a black woman and some people not agreeing…

anyway, i came to ask if finding/buying/wearing a “protect trans kids” shirt (if one exists) is okay if 95% of the reason is bc it’ll piss some people off who deserve to be pissed off. is it? :joy: i laugh, but i’m mostly serious. it wouldn’t be a topic i’d choose to display on my person (though anything political falls in that category) if it weren’t a way to get bad people to identify themselves.

whether someone high-fived me or furrowed their brow, i really would like to hear peoples’ opinion on everything transgender in my daily travels. it feels like a pretty decent barometer to put people in the bad egg basket, an added bonus is watching bigots squirm bc they’re not sure if their bigoted opinions are safe to share with the intimidating man in the shirt.

I personally would not feel comfortable with you wearing colors for edgelord purposes. Please don’t use trans people as the catalyst for whatever you get out of pissing people off.

1 Like

what if i revised my reasoning to “clearly i’m buying the shirt bc i agree with it’s message, i also welcome the conflict it would bring”.

appreciate your opinion though. never been called an edgelord before, suppose i had it coming.

also, it’s not about pissing people off. i generally avoid shit like that as i’ve gotten older.

however, if there’s a type of person i may get some satisfaction out of pissing off, it would be someone who made a hateful or inflammatory remark about transgender people.