TJ plays a ton of poker in Vegas for WSOP! ...And occasionally eats

Much happier with my play today, generally played more aggressively in late position and it worked out well. Was +2200 at one point, then lost a big one AJ > QJ on J-J-9-T. Obviously I got it in because I thought I was ahead, but if I hit any of my ten outs, it might have been a +5k session. As it is I’ll settle for +700.

NotBruceZ has a stack past the dinner break in his tournament, so he can’t join us tonight, but I’m on my way to Lotus with Cuse, will report back

6 Likes

I’m not up on gimmick accounts, but if cuse really isn’t part of this place anymore, try to convince him to come back. I miss that guy.

1 Like

Well, I just busted, but I’m going to decompress a bit.

Eat some garlic prawns for me. Thanks, and enjoy!

(Hi cuse, hope you’re doing well)

Cuse came and picked me up at the Wynn, and we headed over to Lotus of Siam. This scene greeted us as we pulled in, anybody need some pants?

I suspect a homeless person had some sort of wardrobe malfunction and needed to change on the fly. Anyway…

They asked if we wanted a drink, and I said I was fine with water. Then Cuse ordered a Thai iced tea, and when I saw it, I had to order one too.

That’s tea on the bottom, condensed milk on the top, so it was super sweet. You’re supposed to stir it up:

I planned ahead for this trip, and by that I mean I didn’t eat breakfast or lunch, so I was starving by the time we went for dinner. We started with the chicken satay appetizer:

That’s grilled chicken on a skewer, with peanut sauce on the side. Very tasty.

So as I was positively famished, I ordered two entrees. My favorite Thai dish at the Thai place back home is Khee Mao Noodles, which is these wide rice noodles in a sweet chili sauce with veggies, and you choose your protein and spice level.

Here, I knew the crispy duck is a Northern Thailand chef’s specialty. I’m not a big curry guy, because I don’t like coconut milk, so I ordered the crispy duck over drunken noodles, which are also wide rice noodles…. medium spicy. The duck tasted somewhere between chicken and turkey, but it had this skin on it that was crispy like paper. Also very tasty.

I also ordered the garlic prawns I’ve heard so much about. It’s basically these oversized shrimp that are breaded and deep fried in garlic sauce, coated with black pepper. It’s suuuper crispy, like potato chip crispy, and you can even eat the shells.

When I say these things were oversized, I mean they were huge. Here’s one:

Cuse got the chu chi prawns, which are grilled instead of fried, in a curry sauce. I tried one, it was good.

All in all, a highly successful meal. My two entrees were 30something dollars each, but they were GOOD. Service was on point, too…. They kept the waters full and promptly bussed the plates.

We chatted about news, politics, and all the salacious forum drama that follows from this place. I showed Cuse the posts asking him to come back, and maybe someday he will. For now, he’s content to lurk and let all the drama pass him by. But he is reading this and especially the newsy threads, so he’s not really gone.

I thanked him for the rides and two fantastic meals, and a promise to do it again next time we’re in town for WSOP.

I’d say Hobak was the most unique and memorable dining experience, and Lotus or Esther’s Kitchen was the best food.

Now I’m back at the Wynn, trying to squeeze as much poker in as I can before my flight in the morning.

21 Likes

A tale of two trips…

Just joshing you Bruce :grin:

I finished up at the Wynn +985 in the after dinner nightcap…. Then wistfully went and got my bag from valet, and cabbed it over to McCarran, where I’m waiting at the gate.

Gives me a chance to go over my numbers! Let me add it all up…

17 Likes

Great trip report. Thanks. Had me jonsing hardcore the whole time!

Yeah, excellent TR, thanks!

Thanks for the journey! Glad you had a good trip.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, was fun to follow along.

Tournament hours played (including breaks): 24.75
Tournament buyins: -1600
Tournament cashes: $0 :rage::rage::rage:

Cash games

$5 big blind
Hours played: 71.75
+5375 ($74.9/hr!! :flushed::flushed::flushed:)

$3 big blind
Hours played: 10.0

$2 big blind (NLH)
Hours played: 3.0
+360

$2 big blind (PLO)
Hours played: 4.0

Total cash games: +4699

Pit Games

Craps -460
Pai Gow +100
Blackjack +475
Video Poker -120

Total: minus 5 freaking dollars

Expenses

Flight: -215
Airbnb: -920
Food/Uber: -1178
Total: -2313

I only tracked my meals and ubers that I put on my card. There’s lots of miscellaneous cash expenses that I didn’t track, like taxis, tipping, grocery run, and any time I split meals.

So what does it all add up to? Let’s look at the bottom line, the simplest way to gauge how I did:

100 dollar bills I brought to Vegas: 60
100 dollar bills I’m bringing home: 93 :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

In a city built to separate you from your money, I got to play a ton of poker, which I truly enjoy. After two weeks in town, I’m proud of the accomplishment of being solidly in the black, even after expenses.

I had a great time, and some truly memorable meals with some great people.

Thanks to everyone for following along! I can’t wait to do it all again even bigger next year, maybe with a nice donkament score to headline it.

That’s what I’ll be dreaming about! Til next time, Vegas.

43 Likes

Very nice work!

2 Likes

I’m just glad to see someone is as anal as I am about logging everything.

Lesson is you need to move up where they respect your raises

4 Likes

Anyone playing poker at a semi-serious level needs to do this.

Agree. But I’m not sure there aren’t a lot of guys who don’t and therefore believe they are much better than they are. And I like that. And taking it down to virtually everything, like all expenses etc. is good too.

1 Like

I once had a guy show me his cash results showing him a huge winner but I noticed a recent game we’d both played in was missing I was like where is last thursday didn’t you get rocked in that game? He said “That didn’t count because I was on tilt. I wasn’t playing my true game so it doesn’t make sense to track it.” Sure dude.

8 Likes

Thanks for the TR. Enjoyable read, especially when you took your medicine for some of the food exploits. Also respect the folks who met up and broke bread together. Peace and love.

2 Likes

Like 99% of gamblers “track” only wins. :grinning: