Tilted's Walrus - Reveal Time

Gauging interest on a 6 question Walrus. I did my first one during the last grab bag and really enjoyed it, so I figured it was time for another.

My music tastes are wide arching and open to anything. Some of my favorite music lately: Kendrick Lamar, Tyler Childers, Funkadelic, Pokey LaFarge, Orville Peck, Blink 182, Alex Cameron, John Prine, Rancid. Let’s put a one week deadline on this, so May 25th. If anyone wants to volunteer to anonymize them then that’s great; otherwise I will just try to be completely neutral.

Scoring will be based on 1. How much I like the song and 2. How good of a fit it was for the category.

1. A hip hop song and the original song it sampled.
  2. A song you would put on while waiting on impending doom.
  3. A song that includes a woodwind instrument (Sax/clarinet/ect…)
  4. A song with a verse that makes you go… “wait, what?”
  5. A song that captures the feeling of a rainy day with nothing to do.
  6. A spirit in a song. Name a spirit (any type of liquor) and a song that goes with it.

Edit: submission deadline is 5/27

1 Like

fuck yes

1 Like

Was considering doing one myself

Definitely in

1 Like

Tagging folks from the previous one for awareness. Obviously all are welcome!

@seities @Pauwl @Yuv @eyebooger @suzzer99 @skydiver8

1 Like

I’m down to give this a try.
Never played before…

How do you…do it? Email you a youtube song for each category?

Will try to come up with something this weekend.

I’ll play, but that’s alot of categories. I would suggest cutting it to like 5 or 6. Hosting a walrus can get very trying if you get a sour category and then have to rank 60 more songs.

1 Like

All right I’m in. Those are good categories.

1 Like

Normally, somebody will volunteer to anonymize the songs for each category. Once that person is determined, you send a song for each category for all categories in a PM to them. Youtube is preferred generally.

to keep it easier for the anonymizer, the submissions should follow the same format. Such as:

Category
Artist - Song
Youtube Link
Additional Commentary (optional)

For example,

Category 1: Jazz Handz
Skewpy Mcgoo - Diddly Bop Pow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_cFqRSPeU4
Commentary: This song really slaps!

3 Likes

Got it!

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve edited the OP and removed 2 of the categories. We’ll stick with 6.

In, if room

1 Like

Ok I’m in

1 Like

ok fine, twist my arm. In! Though I feel like category 2 is literally every song these days…

Anyone else confused by category #4 or just me?

Category #6, do you want the spirit referenced in the song or the song should capture the spirit of the spirit?

Sounds interesting. Can the song be instrumental only? For #4 obviously not but otherwise?

1. The song should capture the spirit of the spirit. Doesn’t have to be named in it.

Sure.

Goddammit thanks for spoiling Skewpy Mcgoo

Do you factor in song popularity when judging? If so, to what extent?

Also want to confirm for #1: Are you rating both songs that are being submitted? Or are we just pointing out what our submission sampled? What if multiple songs were sampled?