This thread is for Coen Bros fans only

9 Likes

Do you watch other videos like this? Nice find.

1 Like

ya. that whole channel is excellent. the jackie chan one is prob my favorite

1 Like

ittil that Bad Santa is a Coen Bros film.

3 Likes

But once you know, it’s like

tenor (16)

1 Like

Well I dunno. I don’t want to go all purist on you so I’ll go all purist on you instead.

Spielberg produced and had a hand in some films that are never described as Spielberg films. I’m not touting auteur theory here, just saying I probably only count films they themselves (or at least one of them) directed.

2 Likes

Although I feel guilty because there are a couple of their well known movies I have never seen but always wanted to see. Maybe just Miller’s Crossing. I think I did see Blood Simple at least once.

Huge fans of the Coen Brothers. Some of their movies landed less solidly with me than others but so much goodness.

Anyway, that’s a very strong body of work by the bros.

No Country For Old Men
Fargo
Raising Arizona
The Big Lebowski
Miller’s Crossing
Blood Simple
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Man Who Wasn’t There

Haven’t seen the rest

1 Like

That’s because Spielberg hasn’t been good at this since Catch Me If You Can (2002). Hell of a film to go out on, but everything since then is hard for me to watch.

But before then??? Everything he touched turned to gold. I don’t necessarily think of all of them as Spielberg movies, but I have the same laugh of recognition finding out, for example, that he contributed the story and was the uncredited second unit director for The Goonies.

Another laugh of THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!! is finding out the screenwriter was Chris Columbus (Gremlins, Home Alone). The director Richard Donner (Superman: the movie, Lethal Weapon, Maverick). Usually these supergroups super suck, but this time everyone’s talents combined in a way that owes an equal debt to all three.

Why don’t we have a Blood Meridian movie??!

Bad Santa is amazing (GOAT Christmas movie sorry Die Hard) but i was surprised to see it itt since the bros didn’t write or direct it. If they’re just credited as producers I don’t consider it a Coen bros movie

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it in 20 years so luckily I don’t remember much about it other than it was good and perhaps there was a scene in the woods?