The Walrus - master thread

In

3 Likes

Grab bag 3 sign up now officially open. I think Iā€™ve already got everyone from this thread, but if not go there now!

1 Like

I donā€™t feel quite ready to run solo, but put me down for another grab bag so I can hone my judging skills.

I have a few probably dumb ideas, one is: this is a little extra work for an admin, but when people submit, they get to choose one category to get double points, or 1.5x points, if they feel particularly strong about their entry. Then at the end there may be a little drama in the standings about who selected their double points on what category. It would require admin to keep track and probably for people not say whether they burned their double points on a nodium or a podium during the reveals to keep it intriguing until the end.

5 Likes

My scoring idea is just to remove the worst score of each person. will make it more ev to take risks.

also down for grab bag ofc

2 Likes

Would do grab bag.

Whatever scoring system.

1 Like

I actually re-scored the last one in what I think is ski jumping style (removing the best and worst scores). It changed nothing, but Iā€™ll have a look at this style later too.

ready for solo, you are not

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. A lot of RL competitions that consist of rounds do it this way.

Still in for another grab bag, whenever that happens.

1 Like

Iā€™m up for running one again, though I need to get better at turning that to my advantage.

Do we think thereā€™s enough interest to launch it?

4 Likes

I think thereā€™s enough to put a thread up and find out if we can get to 12 or whatever.

2 Likes

In for grab bag, and questioning the sanity of goatnitski for offering to run another one on the back of Grab Bag 3 and Walrus of Walrii.

Would also be in for trying smrk4ā€™s idea or Yuvā€™s, had been considering both of those ideas myself. Also proposing that all Louis scores are halved going forward.

2 Likes

@nano wants to play

6 Likes

Letā€™s do it. Iā€™ve got a fun category I think

3 Likes

Ok, yay. Iā€™ll try and wack up a sign up thread later today. Iā€™ll @ those of you who have already expressed an interest.

Personally Iā€™d go with bottom two scores dropped if thereā€™s, say, >11 participants. I checked that on the last Walrus and it changed nothing in placements, but it did make it closer and I assume thatā€™s actually a point in its favour as the idea is the effect on submission strategy without distorting the competition. I like smrkā€™s one as well, so Iā€™ll put them down as in and see if anyone cries.

2 Likes

I want a new Walrus!

I have songs to submit!

1 Like

Itā€™s not exactly exactly ready and Iā€™ve been away from it for a little while, but Iā€™ll run one at whoisyourwalrus.com for a small group - like 3 people maybe (maybe a few more) - people who have to be willing to use a little imagination (though it is kind of close) - and be a little patient.

(many of you, including you Pauwl, already have accounts with your name that I used for testing)

I got a security error when I clicked on that link.

Is it just a warning that I get free SSL security tokens or something? Link works for me. maybe https://whoisyourwalrus.com ?