The Walrus - master thread

Grab bag - yeah baby!

1 Like

The reveals aren’t, but organizing an entire grab bag is ;-)

That said, I really did enjoy the grab bag last time. I could organize another one, with two conditions:

1. I will need a co-organiser. The duties will be split as follows:

Person 1: In charge of the thread co-ordination. Explaining the rules, helping get reveals lined up, setting dates, helping define good categories. Receive entries for Person2 and anonymize/send to them.

Person 2: Receive entries for all rounds (except their own) and anonymize/send. Keep score. Help Person 1 with other tasks if they are so inclined.

1. The GOAT, Sir @pyatnitski, has to play.

So, if anyone can help, let me know and pick your poison! Alternately if anyone wants to run the entire thing themselves, have at it.

2 Likes

I’d love to play, obviously, but I’m on holiday or traveling for the next month or so and just won’t really have the time. At least till the last week of August, sorry.

2 Likes

In for grab bag

1 Like

If you’re still down, I’ll be Thing 2. Or Thing 1, either is fine.

5 Likes

Yer a good one, Pauwl!

Ok. I can do Thing 1 since I wrote a bunch of stuff for the last one and it will be easier for me to find and re-use. I’ll create an interest thread on the weekend, and pre-register those in this thread who have already said they are in.

3 Likes

Posting because I’ve basically volunteered to run the next one whenever the grab bag game is finished. What better way to introduce myself to this game? People better come ready with their BANGERS!

5 Likes

Speaking of bangers, we need some rulings in the bangers thread

It’s a lot of work but can be rewarding, depending on people’s reactions to your judgments.

What are your musical tastes?

If I had to sum it up in one gif

pitbull yeah

I actually have a pretty varied musical taste but I do love a good BANGER!

actually, it should be interesting participating in a walrus where none of the players know anything about the tastes of the judge. Could get a really wide range of submissions.

I mean, this

Seems pretty straightforward to me

1 Like

I think it’s in a host’s self-interest to accurately describe his musical tastes. Listening multiple times to a dozen songs one doesn’t like can’t be fun.

2 Likes

Does that .gif signal that it would be a Club Hits walrus?

I think it means all entries must be by canine related artists.

I’m already putting together a list of potential categories. (None of the categories are “submit your favorite Pitbull song” but that would be awesome right?)

Has there ever been a duplicate entry in a walrus game? My instinct is to automatically score those as last place if it happens, but curious if there’s any set protocol for that.

1 Like

I feel like it happened once and I think they just got the same score but this was before i ever participated. Not sure why you’d penalize someone for that unless they both submitted the same widely known song and were going to get last anyway?

Sweet!

To answer your question, I have a feeling there was a duplicate before, but I think probably the approach is to see where you would have placed the track/s and tally the scores and divide by two.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on things already so feel free to ignore the stuff below, its just unsolicited advise based on what I have seen as a pretty avid follower of all things Walrus on this forum :-)

Entry pool size

Obv the more contestants, the more songs to listen to, then factor how many times you listen to each track, then doing the review piece. Generally people limit it to around 12 somewhere. I would really suggest not going much above that.

Categories

I found these harder than expected. I think 5 is a pretty good number to start with. There are kinda two ways to look at them.

One is to list something specific/niche. For example, a song by a band from Italy. Or a song that involves a flute. But generally a category like this requires a lot of contestants to go googling for anything that fits because they know nothing offhand. So they really don’t have much of a personal connection or appreciation of that song, which makes it less fun to submit and get your take on.

The other option is to be more broad, but still be mindful of something you want to hear. “Something that would get you pumped up at the gym”. “Something from the 90’s”. “Something where the vocals are unusual”. “Something that evokes this emotion”. Stuff like that. In my opinion these broader categories make for a better game for everyone.

Your musical tastes

As LouisCyphre said above, I think you will probably enjoy hosting more if you at least loosely define your musical preferences. It gives people something to aim for. Or at least call out the stuff you really don’t like.

General disclaimers

Hope none of the above seems overbearing or makes the idea of hosting seem less fun. Despite my enthusiasm I am not an authority on the game, so you do you! I also always like to point out that ChrisV was the first one to bring The Walrus to unstuck. You can see his signup thread at ChrisV's Walrus and the reveal thread at ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread.

6 Likes

Thanks I think this is all good. I have categories in mind that I think are reasonably broad and I think I might give an example for each category that would then be off limits.

2 Likes

bangiest bangers

1 Like