The Walrus - master thread

In

3 Likes

Happy to see you are able to join this one, after your welcome railing in the last grab bag :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to railing but I’ve basically exhausted my musical knowledge at this point so not joining

1 Like

I’m willing to be in.

3 Likes

In

3 Likes

Grab bag 3 sign up now officially open. I think I’ve already got everyone from this thread, but if not go there now!

1 Like

I don’t feel quite ready to run solo, but put me down for another grab bag so I can hone my judging skills.

I have a few probably dumb ideas, one is: this is a little extra work for an admin, but when people submit, they get to choose one category to get double points, or 1.5x points, if they feel particularly strong about their entry. Then at the end there may be a little drama in the standings about who selected their double points on what category. It would require admin to keep track and probably for people not say whether they burned their double points on a nodium or a podium during the reveals to keep it intriguing until the end.

5 Likes

My scoring idea is just to remove the worst score of each person. will make it more ev to take risks.

also down for grab bag ofc

2 Likes

Would do grab bag.

Whatever scoring system.

1 Like

I actually re-scored the last one in what I think is ski jumping style (removing the best and worst scores). It changed nothing, but I’ll have a look at this style later too.

ready for solo, you are not

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. A lot of RL competitions that consist of rounds do it this way.

Still in for another grab bag, whenever that happens.

1 Like

I’m up for running one again, though I need to get better at turning that to my advantage.

Do we think there’s enough interest to launch it?

4 Likes

I think there’s enough to put a thread up and find out if we can get to 12 or whatever.

2 Likes

In for grab bag, and questioning the sanity of goatnitski for offering to run another one on the back of Grab Bag 3 and Walrus of Walrii.

Would also be in for trying smrk4’s idea or Yuv’s, had been considering both of those ideas myself. Also proposing that all Louis scores are halved going forward.

2 Likes

@nano wants to play

6 Likes

Let’s do it. I’ve got a fun category I think

3 Likes

Ok, yay. I’ll try and wack up a sign up thread later today. I’ll @ those of you who have already expressed an interest.

Personally I’d go with bottom two scores dropped if there’s, say, >11 participants. I checked that on the last Walrus and it changed nothing in placements, but it did make it closer and I assume that’s actually a point in its favour as the idea is the effect on submission strategy without distorting the competition. I like smrk’s one as well, so I’ll put them down as in and see if anyone cries.

2 Likes