The TSLA Market / Economy

You’re right. 401k plans aren’t even really retirement plans, they’re tax deferral plans. All the most challenging retirement issues (how to withdraw the money in retirement and make it last a lifetime) are basically ignored.

I will say that SS is actually pretty good. I am very open to policy debates that it should have more wealth transfer baked in but for what it is it does a good job. Like almost all public pension programs globally it has suffered from “kick the can down the road” mismanagement but it nonetheless is probably a net positive system even in its flawed form. Consider how fucked the median American is on retirement savings and then imagine if on top of THAT people had lost SS coverage 20 years ago.

2 Likes

So what happened with the poster’s buddy who had a gambling problem and wasn’t selling his GME but was gonna go broke? … Did he get out when it bounced?

@WichitaDM

Bought more and is now at 220 shares and hasn’t sold.

2 Likes

He got in @ 158 on the original shares. So he could have gotten out last week at evens or a little one way or another. … oof.

I think he bought some at 50 and some at 170 last week. Not sure what the split is.

$RKT on a :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: to the moon.

It’s a WSB bump–I’ve seen a few RKT “DDs” pop up in the past few days.

3 Likes

I think they’re also doing record business. Though that doesn’t really mean shit when it comes to stocks. Stocks go up, stocks go down, can’t explain that!

RIP car dealers?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1366716184041816066?s=21

1 Like

don’t a bunch of states require dealerships still? Or did that change?

By killing off two things that are universally hated (car dealerships and car salesmen), Tesla has finally earned its 27 quadrillion market cap.

6 Likes

They do, although it varies state by state. There’s a good summary here:

It’s probably harder for an existing manufacturer to go dealer-free than a new entrant, though. If you go to war with your dealers, you also lose your service network for all your existing vehicles.

The only reason most car dealerships are still a thing is political protection full stop. They’re a legacy of a time before the internet made it possible to manage larger business empires. This is also why being a fast food franchisee has gotten steadily worse over the last 20-30 years and most genuinely good new concepts just raise money to open new locations instead of franchising.

Got out of my RKT weeklies after this morning’s surge. Didn’t get out at the peak but still made something like 8x chasing WSB :grin:

2 Likes

Dealers are incredibly powerful politically, like almost unimaginably so given the relatively small size of the industry.

It’s not hard to imagine a federal law ending all the bullshit, eventually. Buying a car thru a dealership is absolute torture. Not only does it take forever, you have to fend off all kinds of sleazy sales bullshit. The F&I dance, where they painfully make you sit through a very aggressive push for all kinds of borderline useless products, is especially miserable and exploitive. The average dealer makes $1500 per car in F&I.

1 Like

1 Like

He loves horrible consumer experiences in industries ripe for disruption!

3 Likes