The TSLA Market / Economy

I don’t think I could be in the same room as this guy for 5 seconds

Yesterday I drove into a Chevron station in downtown Portland and regular would’ve cost $6.38/gallon if I paid with a non-Chevron credit card, can anyone beat that? I just drove away and one block away an Astro station was $1 cheaper/gallon. AAA’s national average today is $3.83/gallon. I have no idea what is going on w/ POR gas prices, seems like nonsense.

Saw a friend complaining about $6.49 in the Bay.

1 Like

Electricity in NH has doubled over the past couple of months. Like literally doubled lol. Has that happened anywhere else is in the US?

I’ve been getting apologetic notifications from the electric company about rate increases. Thankfully the bill is autopay, because I’m afraid to look at it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Giving everyone money in response to inflation seems like ill advised solution

8 Likes

Some definite the Fed beatings will continue until morale improves job numbers so we’ll see where the market goes today.

1 Like

stanks :chart_with_downwards_trend:

Holy not stonks. Jesus

Can’t take it any more moved my future 401k to much lower risk i.e. one that’s only down 12% this year as opposed to 18%

Paper hands!

4 Likes

Why not keep pumping it in when it’s down? We’re all fucked anyway if we get the Japan scenario. (I wouldn’t be, but it will blow up public worker pensions and blow up anybody carrying or holding debt and we will all get taken down in the wash.)

I’m just throwing darts like all of you =/ its still mostly same BS stonks that are crushed this year anyways

where are you seeing these funds that are outperforming the market by 6/12%? i need to look into that

1 Like

krugman laying it out pretty thick. maybe the fed is to blame.

For example, a new report shows that unfilled job offerings fell sharply in August. Why is this important? Many economists — especially economists who have been warning about persistent inflation — argue that the tightness of the labor market is better measured by the ratio of job vacancies to unemployment than by the unemployment rate itself. But this ratio, while still elevated, has already dropped substantially; as Goldman Sachs puts it, almost half of the gap between jobs and workers has been eliminated over the past few months.

Another new report shows that demand for apartments has stalled, which will eventually translate into a decline in rent growth — which basically drives official estimates of the cost of shelter, a key component of most measures of underlying inflation.

Oh, and remember all those supply-chain problems that disrupted the economy and raised inflation some months back? Well, the cost of shipping a container across the Pacific, which was $20,586 in September 2021, is now $2,265.

I’d argue that these indicators tell us that the Fed has already done enough to ensure a big decline in inflation — but also, all too possibly, a recession.

Am I completely sure about this? No, of course not. But policy always involves a trade-off between risks. And the risk that the Fed is doing too little seems to be rapidly receding, while the risk that it’s doing too much is rising.

He probably just meant a fund which has a high allocation to bonds relative to stocks.

Not sure what a ‘future 401k’ is, but this sounds like a mistake.

1 Like

Future contributions to my 401k.

I looked at my performance for this year vs last year and I’m down like 2k and was like “oh that’s not bad”. Then I realized that’s counting the almost 20k I’ve put in this year. :expressionless:

Ok. Assuming you are in low-cost, passive funds, then your performance is just a consequence of asset allocation. You would do well to decide what your ideal asset allocation is and stick with it, and not react to volatility.

3 Likes