The TSLA Market / Economy

Also if you are a young professional with a white collar job and you want to live within like 30 miles of it, the majority of rental inventory is going to be controlled by institutional investors in some way shape or form, so they’ll basically make the market. Oh look at that, wouldn’t you know, the market is almost exactly how much is left over int he average white collar worker’s paycheck after paying for food, gas, electric, cell phone, etc.

2 Likes

The amount of capture is limited only by your imagination when you don’t have a functioning government.

What always sticks in my mind is that private equity scumbag on a fairly recent 60 Minutes piece about PE buying up single family homes to rent, where he made sure to point out that only 2% of homes in the US are currently owned by PE, like it’s no big deal. You just KNOW his pitch to private investors prominently features that number with opposite intentions. “Look, NOW is the time to get in, there’s still 98% of the homes out there for us to buy!”

1 Like

The OnLy 2%!!!1! thing is, of course, intentionally misleading. The way more relevant number is that they are buying up current listings at a 20% clip (and rising), and they’re doing it strategically. If you filter it for just affordable housing and where demand is rising, the number is over 50% in some areas. Also have to assume that the ones they’re winning in those pockets are highly-skewed toward the best value listings, so normal people up against them probably feel like they’re drawing dead at FMV in the same way they’d be drawing dead for Playstations, sneakers, concert tickets, etc.

2 Likes

I guess we are at that point to where we could start tripping circuit breakers this week. This week is setting itself up to possibly be a total disaster.

1 Like

I remember what my portfolio was at it’s peak so shudder to look but I’m going to tomorrow, have to eat my own stupidity not dumping what I thought I should then. some of that shit isn’t gonna come back for a decade probably.

had to look up what it was, was over $30 then, sheesh. I know it hit over 40 after the 2008 bank meltdown. Metal is a very gotta sell when there’s the rush into it thing. (that was 2011… wow my memory was off there) I think it’ll have one more run someday but that’s the time to exit.

Commodities like that over time don’t do well but do have crazy peaks.

coming from crypto and stocks lately those cd’s look great

so uh, if china just takes or blockades taiwan, how screwed are we on computer chips, cause it looks like we’re screwed to me, all of our major companies basically use them for a lot

we are really stupid with stuff like that sigh

Invitation was able to raise rents 17% because everyone loves their product.

1 Like

Futures -2.5%. Here we go!

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=379592&newpost=6723892

Tempted to register an account just to post to that OP: “I’ll flip you for it.”

1 Like

Nice

https://twitter.com/mattpotter/status/1535753166880444416?s=21&t=Zk7TOVFkCrvDqfIRejcNFA

1 Like

This is actually something that everyone who invests well has to deal with at some point. The larger your balance is, the harder it is to shrug off downward volatility. The “This Time Is Different” people come out after every downturn (and bull market, lol) and it is objectively impossible to prove their predictions are wrong. Even Bogleheads and other passive investors are not immune from the inevitable End of Days chatter around every market crash.

This is actually so evil it’s almost admirably diabolical.

I do worry a lot about our non functioning political system but at the end of the day what choice do I really have. There is no better option than dumping money in and leaving it alone.

Yeah, exactly. Absolutely everything might crash more and stay low and we get a Japanese style lost decade or decades and whoever panic sells right now will be better off 20 years from now. But maybe it won’t. No one knows with enough certainty to make big bets one way or another. If you had suggested to someone in December 2019 that they needed to worry about 8% inflation rates by 2022 you would be laughed out of every room in the world full of the smartest available investors.

I’ve tried to set autodrive above 80mph (don’t @ me with a fast driving derail, please), and it shuts off. The thing is, it gives you probably five seconds of warning buzzer and blaring red screen to alert the driver it’s about to shut off. If it had to shut down when a crash was imminent, it seems like it wouldn’t have time for this kind of warning.

With that said, autodrive has quirks that to me make it unsafe to use in fast traffic. It especially has trouble when a lane is splitting into two or unexpectedly merging. In general, Atlanta traffic is way to hectic for it.

Yeah, I’m not acting any differently than I did in 2008-09, but the numbers are a magnitude larger so it’s a pretty solid gut-punch whenever I check in on accounts. And the purchases I get at these low prices are a much smaller % of the overall, so the weekly contributions don’t feel as good either as the did back then.

But I agree that there isn’t a good alternative option for that same $$.