The TSLA Market / Economy

probably more annoyed than i should be except I’ve had quite a junior title at this company for a long time and my last two reviews have recommended me for promotion. I frequently train very senior employees for stuff, I’ve run entire projects end to end now singlehandedly, often am the first person people come to for problems. I told my director I’m not one to get hung up on title but I suspect I’m underpaid right now and showed him soft offers I was getting.

this was pre invasion and he responded by moving the levers required to promote me, but now it’s completely stalled for reasons I dont know, and I’m definitely not helping matters by being like “welp youre getting bare minimum from me til you rectify this.”

i will end up getting laid off i think, which is fine, it’s just annoying to sit and wait.

If I ever think there is even the slightest chance I’m getting laid off I’m finding a new job. Much easier to get a job when you have a job.

2 Likes

I’ve got the exact opposite plan. If current job ends for any reason I’m taking at least 6 months off to travel and spend time with family. There is no other opportunity to take an extended break until I retire. And time when you’re younger is worth more than time when you’re older.

4 Likes

too logistically difficult right now

and yes, what melkerson said - I’d negotiate a chunky severance and take several months off. I need it.

:point_up:

Well I mean if you have the means for that then yes. Sounds awesome. Trying to find a job when you continue to see your savings dwindle is stressful and will definitely cost you a higher salary. Obviously may not apply to Jmakin.

they’re dwindling even now because of health stuff i just dont care. its probably arrogant but i’ve been sailing through interviews without much prep or trying at all. i’m confident of my ability to find a job and i know my value, so i feel a bit braver in these situations than some might. i just am not ready to switch jobs yet so i’m stickin around until they decide no

I used to think this way. But it’s not really a means question. You’ve got the means. You’ve just got to prioritize living in the moment over general financial security and well-being.

Most people who do this as a default end up with pretty shitty lives. Therefore, we learn that is not the best overall life strategy. It is irresponsible. And once we learn that, it’s hard to act differently.

But what I’ve come to accept that is that being responsible to a fault is also a suboptimal strategy. You’ve got to know when to turn it off. And it’s tough. Even though I blithely claim that I’m going to take 6 months off, it’s going to be really hard for me to actually pull the trigger on that when the time comes for exactly the reasons you mention. But it’s is what I should do, and I really hope I don’t chicken out and fail to follow through.

4 Likes

I like stonks more than not stonks

I don’t exactly disagree, but I think you’re reversing cause and effect. The people living in the moment at the expensive of long-term security don’t usually have much choice in the matter. There really aren’t very many people who were given all the opportunities and chose to YOLO their way to destitution instead. There are some, sure, but far fewer than anecdotes suggest.

I was dead wrong about inflation. This is bad bad bad.

The advice doesn’t apply to people who have no choice. It is irrelevant to them.

I wouldn’t exactly say “all the opportunities” and “destitution”, but I’ve encountered plenty of people with opportunities who squandered them and their lives turned out much worse. Definitely worse enough that it is not outweighed by whatever short term benefits they received.

This is massively far from the truth. Plenty of people bum around for periods of their lives, by choice, when they could be settling down and saving a nest egg.

Do they end up with shitty lives because of it? That’s the point Melkerson raised that I object to. I have a cousin who spent 4 years after college being a broke-ass ski bum in Colorado. He eventually got a real job, is doing fine, and I very much doubt he will ever regret those 4 years.

you can still have a shitty life with oodles of money

IME if there is less then 3 weeks to go and you haven’t heard anything yet, it is not a good sign.

Ehh, we get salary letters in mid-August every year, so I’m not really expecting to hear anything before that.

I’m not sure what you’re objecting to. That’s the kind of thing I’m advocating for.

He did it for a while. And then he returned to the responsible life. That’s fine. Doing it forever, leaves you worse off in most cases. Presumably that is why he did not stay a ski bum forever.

I suspect a lot of organizations are giving 2-3% to average and below average performers and quietly giving their best people much larger raises.

1 Like

The best people aren’t getting raises like that unless the ask for them or threaten to leave.