The TSLA Market / Economy

I think @ParlaySlow framed the question in such a way as to suggest you look at the Sharpe ratio as a starting point for pricing in risk.

That seemed to be the consensus after hours today that brought along a bunch of buying. I am not convinced that bottoms are predictable like this.

Probably, but we’re never getting that genie back in the bottle, so it’s kind of moot.

it’s just like any other collective movement - basically impossible.

Have to check with Cramer

Yes, his stat guys were saying otherwise, they’ve also been wrong before.

This was my grandma’s bugaboo. She divorced and worked until she was 70, but still talked about both those things like they were the doom of society.

Bite your tongue good sir!

Maybe we all collectively agree that the bad parts are behind us and we all get rich together!

I think it’s pretty evident by that late uptick. Easiest correction ever.

Even if houses became cheaper, I’m going to point out that a society where one partner (usually a woman) was expected to give up a career to stay home while the other partner (usually a man) built a career often had some negative impacts on the stay at home partner [especially if the couple eventually splits up].

If Elizabeth Warren is to be believed, middle-class two-income families have increased due to financial necessity.

Yeah, the dilemma definitely sucks. It’s always rough to feel like you are being compelled to do something purely out of financial necessity. And it is also unfortunate that many folks now have to have two working adults in a household just to achieve some of the trappings of a middle class life that might have been provided to them by only one working parent.

If we had an actual decent society, one with fair enough wages to raise a family on one income, a social safety net in case things go wrong, and gender equality such that either or both members of the household could equally make a good career, I think that how society at large would address the one or two incomes problem would be a really important and interesting question. Child rearing has always been relegated as a low status role (falling on women, and then, when women had status, they’d pass that off if they could), but with better equality, how does either parent avoid a potential stigma from choosing to stay home? Or, if both parents work, how do we elevate child care for hire as a career people would still want to pursue when it’s no longer seen as just something for women to do? And then, how do we avoid too many people DINKing it up to continue the species?

We are a long way from these problems, but I think about it from time to time to avoid thinking about the far less pleasant problems of the present.

1 Like

It’s like that thing where McDonalds could pay everyone at least 20/hr and it would only decrease their profits by 25% or something. So simple, yet so far away.

Right now I’m wondering how in the fuck anyone raises kids as a single parent. Struggle is real with the two of us right now.

7 Likes

I really don’t think it’s possible without either

1. Tons of extended network help (family or friends living close by)

2. Enough money to have full time help.

The few day stretches where my wife is out of town for business travel and I’m responsible for both day care drop off and pick up just feel like I’ve got zero spare time.

lol having kifs

1 Like

7 Likes

I don’t want a crash per se. I just want valuations grounded in some version of reality sooner rather than later.

2 Likes