The TSLA Market / Economy

LOLOLOL

To be fair, I’m actually wearing a Peloton shirt right now, and drank coffee out of a Peloton-branded Yeti this morning. (Both were free.)

2 Likes

Count me in as being shocked at 14,000 employees.

Don’t see an issue with free Peloton subscriptions in addition to cash severance packages. In a previous downsizing, I was extended employee-benefits like this for a period of time and it was a nice little add-on.

Do they do their own manufacturing?

1 Like

Looks like they do not, a company in Taiwan makes the bikes. But Peloton is building a new production facility in the US to be opened in 2023.

was

1 Like

Yeah. I assume this isnt a new perk, just allowing them to keep the one they already have.

Like if you had a employee’s discount card at Target. When you get laid off they might allow you to keep it for 6 months.

I post various wagers on this board all the time; you’re welcome to follow or not.

Probably next I’m gonna put some in some safer stuff that isn’t going anywhere that I won’t bother to post tho. I’m not looking much right now. I’m lazy.

https://twitter.com/puttinyadown/status/1491104089971003393?s=20&t=lpjmlpR-Ob-mkcu0MZAvLg

https://twitter.com/LinkCamelot/status/1491124978812866560?s=20&t=lpjmlpR-Ob-mkcu0MZAvLg

You might short earlier than the top and spend time in the red. When buying a dip, you might buy earlier than the bottom. In neither case does that mean it can’t be a good long-term play. I’ll grant that you need to use a smaller position size when going short, but I disagree that shorting inherently leads to negative expected growth (if that’s what you mean by “dumb”).

Matt Levine is so good

In a sense, the pitch here is straightforward. Blackwells does not think that Foley is very good at running Peloton. The stock market does not think that Foley is very good at running Peloton, in that the stock is down 80% from its highs last year and spent last week below its 2019 initial public offering price of $29. (It’s up today.) And Foley does not think he’s particularly good at running Peloton, at least if you believe the quotes that Blackwells selected here. If someone else takes over the day-to-day running of Peloton, or the process of selling it to a better owner (and Blackwells is also pushing for a sale), then Foley will have more money (because he owns a lot of Peloton stock) and also more free time (because he’s not running Peloton). It is no fun to do a job that you’re not good at, particularly when doing that job costs you money . If you can get in a room with Foley, or just lob a PowerPoint deck at him, and explain “hey, everyone is mad at you, you’re not having fun and it’s making you poorer,” that’s fairly persuasive and maybe he’ll listen. He did!

3 Likes

Looking forward to the new big band soundtracks for my next workout.

For sure, but the obstacle that you’re up against is a market that averages a return of 10% over the last 100 years. So essentially, all else equal, you’re going against the grain at 10%, not including dividends for it to pay off.

I honestly don’t recommend any kind of swing/day trading in any market but this is a time, imo, that keeping a bit more cash than invested in the next 2 years or so doesn’t seem terrible. I guess that would be more of the discussion for me.

2 Likes

Oh now I get you, you’re saying the already hard task of picking individual stocks is even harder when going against the grain. And if instead of individual stocks, one tries to time shorting the broader market, the problem is even worse.

Yeah I have to agree, and if I had to make picks by throwing darts, I’d prefer a long-only strategy for that reason. At the same time, I don’t think VTI’s march to infinity is relevant to the forecast of say, AMC. Normally, a stock price’s error is randomly distributed in both directions. Normally, the adults are in charge and they’ve done their homework. AMC was an exception.

stonks

There’s been some cycling from growth to value, out of tech, etc. The S&P is still down 4.5% ytd. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this is the pattern every earnings season for a while.

For the true believers, it’s always a good time to invest. If the market has been going up, well it only stands to reason that investor confidence is high and you want to get in now to capture future growth. If the market had been going down, well it only stands to reason that the panicky investors have driven down the prices artificially and you want to get in now to capture the recovery.

I don’t think very many - even those with long time horizons - would say there are no bad times to invest. There are lots of bad times - it’s just virtually impossible to know when those times are starting and ending.

1 Like

well, the worst time to invest in anything is when literally everyone has tips and is talking about it