The TSLA Market / Economy

I’ve known him since we were 14 and he saved my life when I was 25. I forced the money on him.

2 Likes

I could honestly have 2 jobs right now and have very little chance of getting found out.

1 Like

That’s fine, but it doesn’t seem like a clearly defined arrangement. There should at least be clarity, such as you having shares in the company or some kind of structured timeframe for repayment. Even if losing all the money wouldn’t be that bad, the process of doing so would be unpleasant and severely strain the relationship.

I handled a handshake deal like this where the party who loaned the money was fine, but the (now) ex-wife of the debtor tried to claim the ex-husband had an $125k asset because of the loan when the money was all gone.

1 Like

Listen man I wouldn’t give a single fuck if he spent it all on crack and then asked me for a loan.

1 Like

I do have two jobs (software engineer) and considering a third.

Details?

2 remote easy jobs, although not particularly high paying where I am not required in meetings often.

So they are both full time and don’t know about each other? Have you ever had simultaneous meetings?

Yeah they have no idea. No, I haven’t had simultaneous meetings but different time zones help.

3 Likes

What’s your plan if/when that happens?

Is there a reason the employer should give a shit?

They’re paying you $X for 40 hours of your life every week, it’s no fair if you’re managing to do the work they assign you in less time than that.

Should give a shit? Not really, as long as the work gets done. But most would.

I suppose it depends on the jobs and what he signed, but I think most employers would sue for all the salary back if they found out.

Wat? No way you can be sued for having 2 jobs like this and no way I’ve ever signed an employment contract that says “you can’t have 2 jobs” right? I refuse to google it.

How would they know? He presumably can just claim to be working 80hr wks. Or better yet, he can claim 90. He’s actually spending 50hrs/wk on their job, but he’s not complaining despite the increased workload.

They’re paying you for your time from 9 to 5, and even if you don’t have active work to do, that’s their time and you’re on standby if needed… But not if you’re working for someone else. So if they overlap, they could argue they’re not actually getting what they’re paying you for.

I think working two jobs on the same schedule is pretty awesome if you can make it work and not get in trouble… I’d just be too worried about that.

That kind of contract most definitely exists. It might even be in yours as it pertains to conflicts of interest. For example, if you go work for a competitor on the weekends, that could be a problem.

For the purposes Xialongbao’s situation, I’m assuming that’s not the case, because that is an entirely different issue.

I was just joking about how most companies care more that they deprive you of personal freedom for 40 (or 50, or 60, or 80) hours per week than they care about what actual work you accomplish. A famous example being Bill Gates keeping track of employee cars in the early Microsoft days when there were surely better ways of measuring employee productivity.

I still don’t see how you are going to get anywhere with a lawsuit if you can’t demonstrate damages. They would have to show that the employee didn’t complete tasks or otherwise meet expectations.

I guess if the scenario were specifically addressed in the contract and they had some liquidated damages clause, then they could do it, but presumably Xiaolongbao would know about that.

Changing jobs is the key to getting a big raise when you’re going from junior to senior (or senior to FAANG stratosphere)

Staying in one place is the key to working 2 hours/day.

2 Likes